Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hp psc 1110 Problem

My OS is Win7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

Yesterday I got an unexpected installing device driver message, and it ended by saying installation failed.

I checked in Device Manager, and found there is a problem with my printer. I tried "Update Driver" but was told Windows could not find a driver. I also went to the HP website and followed all their instructions for manually installing the driver, but that didn't work.

I tried turning the printer on and off, several times, but that made no difference.

On one attempt to install the driver the "installing device driver" message said "Printer Driver was not installed. Unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver package".

I would greatly appreciate help from anyone who knows how to solve this problem.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    HP makes fine printers, but their software can be tenacious. You need to completely uninstall your hp software before you try to reinstall it. Use an app like RevoUninstaller in Advanced mode (remove highlighted registry entries only) to completely remove all traces of it. Alternatively you can use the Find tool in Regedit to remove entries by hand, but there can be hundreds of entries. (I've done it by hand before, and it takes a good while.)

Disconnect the psc from your PC, and then you should be able to install the software fresh.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roy - Has that printer ever worked with that computer? Is this the first time using that printer with your Win 7?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, thanks,I will try what you suggest.

tfspry-hello again. Yes the printer worked with my computer until yesteday,although I hadn't used it for about a fortnight previously.

I knew I had a problem when Device Manager referred to the printer as an unknown device, with no driver installed, and also because the list of USB Controllers no longer includes dot4 usb.

If you have any other suggestions please advise.

Meanwhile I will check the registry entries.

Regards,Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Since my previous post I have deleted all the registry entries for the printer that I could find with regedit or the registry cleaner in jv16 PowerTools.

In Device Manager, should I uninstall the "unknown device".

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Yes, uninstall the "unkinown device", make sure your psc is disconnected from the PC, and then reboot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, I did as you suggested but still couldn't install the driver. Further help would be appreciated, as I really need to use the printer.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    That's usually indicative of leftovers in the registry. If the hp software shows in Programs and Features in Control Panel, use RevoUninstaller on it in Advanced mode. If it doesn't show there, you'll have to edit the registry by hand. Use the Find tool and search "Computer" for "hp" (without the quotes) and be prepared for some false hits.

Also make sure you delete the hp folder in Program Files before you try to reinstall.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Try a System Restore to a point prior to the printer issue.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry, I didn't have a suitable restore point.

tfspry-Thanks but I have already visited those sites and they didn't help.

bbearren-I had already tried regedit and didn't have an hp folder in program files. Is there one in Win 7?

I have had a long series of email exchanges with HP support about the problem. At one point they "elevated" the issue further up the chain of command, but the "elevated " person who then emailed me ignored everything said in the previous emails and suggested a fix which had been suggested in the first HP email and didn't work. An extract of my reply reads as follows:

"the key fact seems to me to be the message that “Printer Driver was not installed. Unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver package". Bearing in mind that the “core driver package” must be missing from my Windows 7 Professional 32 bit system, and that HP obviously worked with Microsoft to produce the core driver package, can you either send me a copy of the package and tell me exactly where to save it, or tell me the exact name(s) of the file(s) included in the package, and their exact location in the system, so that I can get a copy from my local computer technician. HP’s technicians must surely have all these details".

Do you agree my question to HP makes sense?

Please advise. (I will let you know what HP come back with).

Regards,Roy