Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Have I bought a fake?

Hi everyone I am new here as I found this site while searching for an answer to my problem about 6 months ago I bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate from ebay it arrived brand new shrink wrap sealed and everything appeared as it should, I installed it with no problems at all I activated it everthing working updates, add on's everything, anyway during this time I gathered so much junk on my HDD that I decided to have a clean up so I reinstalled it and wiped everything in the process that is when it all went wrong it will not activate I get messages saying it is counterfeit lots of stuff like spellcheck simply does not work and to make matters worse it will not let me format my HDD again because my operating system is on it well that is what I want to get rid of. Is this likely to be a fake and if so how can I format my HDD again and I will go back to XP many thanks Chris

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It could well be a counterfeit version as indicated. The easiest way to find out is to ring the Microsoft licensing number and talk to them about it - they don't bite.

To re-format, boot from CD into a recovery console and then run diskpart to delete the partitions. (Use the commands "select disk 0" and "clean").

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisf-1 View Post
    I get messages saying it is counterfeit Is this likely to be a fake and if so how can I format my HDD again
    Chris,
    Hello.... I don't know for sure but ...If it was a "Fake", how would it be possible that for 6 months all was well? That doesn't sound like a fake to me. Have you tried to do a "Repair"? (insert disk at boot time) Also there are Boot-able CD Partitioning managers (FREE) Like "G Parted" http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php (Download and then burn a CD.. on another PC)You could then "wipe" whatever partition you choose before anything "windows wise" loads, and do the re-install thing. If you don't like "G Parted" there a few more to be had along the same lines..(free) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Chris,
    Hello.... I don't know for sure but ...If it was a "Fake", how would it be possible that for 6 months all was well? That doesn't sound like a fake to me. Have you tried to do a "Repair"? (insert disk at boot time) Also there are Boot-able CD Partitioning managers (FREE) Like "G Parted" http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php (Download and then burn a CD.. on another PC)You could then "wipe" whatever partition you choose before anything "windows wise" loads, and do the re-install thing. If you don't like "G Parted" there a few more to be had along the same lines..(free) Regards Fred
    Hi Fred and thanks for your reply I am now pretty sure it is not fake as I have managed to activate it over the phone but I still need to to re-install it as I have a lot of problems the main one stopping me is I cannot boot from the disc because during start up the first message I receive is keyboard failure and at that time it is failing because pressing F2 for set up or F12 for boot menu does not work so any ideas how I can get it to boot from the disc for a completely fresh install cheers Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a lot of problems the main one stopping me is I cannot boot from the disc because during start up the first message I receive is keyboard failure and at that time it is failing because pressing F2 for set up or F12 for boot menu does not work
    Chris,
    Hello... If you can't enter "BIOS" There are more problems that have nothing to do with trying to re-install from a disk. So lets proceed from this first.
    1. When your "booting up" do you see the "BIOS" screen ?... and your "Keyboard is not responsive? What kind of "Keyboard" "Wired" or "Wireless" (check battery Wireless keyboard.. Internal PC CMOS one as well, and or Keyboard connections)
    2. If you choose to let the PC continue on booting what happens?
    3. Did... or can you get the "Boot time" Partition manager? Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-30 at 14:14.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If by bios screen you mean the writing between windows loading and windows starting which is also where at the end it says keyboard failure. Keyboards I have 2 a logitech wireless mx5500 revolution which is working fine but I put to one side for the minute to see if using a usb wired ibm keyboard would resolve the issue it has not. I do not know what boot time patition manager is I honestly would just like to wipe this lot and start again but I can't hep!!!! thanks fred Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    If by bios screen you mean the writing between windows loading and windows starting which is also where at the end it says keyboard failure. Keyboards I have 2 a logitech wireless mx5500 revolution which is working fine but I put to one side for the minute to see if using a usb wired ibm keyboard would resolve the issue it has not. I do not know what boot time patition manager is I honestly would just like to wipe this lot and start again but I can't hep!!!! thanks fred Chris
    Chris,
    Hello...OK the BIOS Screen is viewed when you first turn on the PC ... On my system (HP Desktop) you enter the BIOS buy entering F-10 (Configure) or Esc for boot menu ( others will vary ) but will offer two choices ... if you do not enter any ...your PC will continue and look for a "CD" to boot from (normal default) then if none is present it will continue to the "Hard Drive Group" ..

Boot time "Partition Managers" will allow you to change your partitioning scheme, or re-configure your Hard Drive ...Erase , format, etc. The benefit of these "Boot Time" tools is that they "load up" (at boot time) before your system does... This allows you to do as you wish even when "Windows" wont. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well Fred something is definitely happening but what I do not know how can I just wipe it all out and start again which I have normally found a simple process but not this time anyway I am pretty sure now it is not fake because as soon as typed in the numbers they gave me over the phone everything that was saying it was fake dissappeared but now I have tried so many things I do not know where I am apart from being sure now it is genuine could you explain to me in idiot terms how i can format the HDD and reload the system from scratch and start with a brand new install which should get me away from all this nonsens about keyboard failure and such like how can it be failing I am using it now thanks a lot Fred for helping me through this nightmare any way I am off to bed now and will see what the morning brings thanks again Fred I realy appreciate your time and help Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again Fred what I did not mention is it is a dell XPS 720 which people say is the start of my problems because Dell do things differently from others anyway about this bios thing mine is F2 for set up and F12 for boot menu the problem is whenever I try to use one of these it is as if the keyboard is failing at this time as I get no response from either of them it just carries on loading widows as normal no matter which one I use that is why I cannot format the drive Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    about this bios thing mine is F2 for set up and F12 for boot menu the problem is whenever I try to use one of these it is as if the keyboard is failing at this time as I get no response from either of them it just carries on loading widows as normal no matter which one I use that is why I cannot format the drive
    Chris,
    Hello.. sounds like you have several different problems..
    1. Not being able to enter BIOS \ Keyboard problem ...Possible reason is your keyboard driver software is not correct or somehow corrupted. you could try different "F" controls at boot .There are many keyboard configurations. (after thought... you must enter the F2 \ F12 when the BIOS screen is visible)

2. Formatting a Hard Drive does not have anything to do with the BIOS settings

3. I would try first a "Repair" (loading your "7" disk and re-booting ) select repair.

4. I would do the format thing as a last option... however if i was going to ...i would grab "G Parted" partition manager (free) as explained above...."download", burn, and load the disk ...Re-Boot .

5. G parted would then load at boot time so you could at that point delete and format / re-partition etc. Keep in mind if you have an "Upgrade" disk ...you need the old "OS" installed. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-30 at 19:02.
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that the Boot Order in BIOS is set to boot first from Hard Drive then to CD/DVD if no operating system is found. If F2 key is not working at boot up and Operating System is working, how can Boot Order be changed? System is not looking for a CD/DVD?

Assuming keyboards are USB - could try keyboard in different USB ports.

One of my Dell systems has the same issue of "Keyboard Failure" at boot up.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Refer to my post #11 above.
    Here is one of the threads when the Keyboard Failure problem started for me ......
    BIOS Keyboard Failure message

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tfspry View Post
    It seems that the Boot Order in BIOS is set to boot first from Hard Drive then to CD/DVD if no operating system is found. If F2 key is not working at boot up and Operating System is working, how can Boot Order be changed? System is not looking for a CD/DVD?
    tfspry,
    Just a question... How would the "Boot sequence " Floppy> CDGroup>Hard Drive Group, get changed? Or does "Dell" not use this order ?... Also if you could access BIOS ...you could enter "BOOT Menu" and select your HD and boot from there. Just "Think'n" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    tfspry,
    Just a question... How would the "Boot sequence " Floppy> CDGroup>Hard Drive Group, get changed? Or does "Dell" not use this order ?... Also if you could access BIOS ...you could enter "BOOT Menu" and select your HD and boot from there. Just "Think'n" Regards Fred
    Hi Fred - The "Boot Sequence" is so very easy to change. Take a look at your own boot order screen and I think you will agree that it is very easy to change the boot order.

Chris seems to be unable to boot up a CD/DVD before Windows starts, thus my theory on boot order/sequence.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris might also want to be sure that the CD/DVD drive is in fact working. Once in Windows, does the CD/DVD drive read and write disks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast