New Lounger
    Thanks

Cloned Disk Not Recognized by Windows 7

I have used Acronis TI 2011 to clone my disk as it was reaching capacity, 500Gb > 1Tb. The new drive was formatted and serviceable. But after the cloning function was completed it still works mechanically but Win 7 does not recognise it's there either by SATA or USB. I don't mind starting again but can't figure what went wrong or how to get the disk recognised again. I hope someone can help, thanks
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-30 at 12:04. Reason: Moved posts to start new thread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    To use the Cloning function, both HD's must be connected at the same time. Did you do this? With an Image, they do not. You would create an Image, say to an ext HD such as a USB HD or a flash drive with enough capacity. You would then create the Bootable Media to allow Acronis to boot the new HD (You would have to have the CD Media option selected in the Bios as the first place the system looks for the boot files rather than the HD)

Next install the new formated HD, insert the Acronis bootable Rescue Media you created and boot to Acronis. Tell the system where to restore the Image to (usually the new HD "C Drive"), point the app to the Image you created (On the ext HD or flash, whatever) then proceed with the restore.

If you simply placed a new HD in the same PC, once restored you should not have to reactivate Windows. You also should not need the Plus Pack for Acronis. The Plus Pack is designed to do this in an entirely new PC. Be advised however that after doing this you may need to update drivers in the new PC as Acronis will place the drivers from the old PC onto the new PC. If you are just replacing the HD in the old PC, the drivers should all be OK.

In order to be legal, you would probably have to remove the Windows installation from the old PC or HD once you have the installation installed on a new PC or HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    To use the Cloning function, both HD's must be connected at the same time. Did you do this? ................
    In order to be legal, you would probably have to remove the Windows installation from the old PC or HD once you have the installation installed on a new PC or HD.
    Thank you for the reply, Yes, I was attempting to simply replace a disk with a larger one in the same computer and then use the smaller one to store backups. Both disks were connected and as far as I know a clone was made. I then removed the original disk and attempted to boot from the new but the BIOS does not accept that the drive exists so I cannot confirm whether the cloning was a success or not. I have difficulty in accepting that a simple clone would destroy the disk so am wondering what could have gone wrong and more importantly, how to gain access to the disk again? It seemed like a good idea at the time........

Thanks
    I never used the cloning feature but I think the disks have to be the same size...

If you are adding a larger disk then you would use the ADD DISK option in TI...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again.
    Well, I finally cracked it. When I cloned the drive it turned out that there was a hidden partition containing some odd characters in an (unknown to me) filing system (OEM stuff maybe?) and in the process of cloning the disk the C: Drive tag slipped to that previously untagged partition leaving the rest of the drive unusable and hence unrecognised.
    I removed that partition then re-cloned the Win 7 system partition successfully from a 500gb disk to a 1Tb disk and extended the partition in Win 7 Disk Management to fill the disk.
    The computer is now working perfectly with 500Gb more space.
    Just mentioning the legal side. Yes it was an OEM disk, but I had previously replaced the OEM Win 7 HP with a retail Win 7 U system, which I believe the extra cost of, then allows indefinite transfer to successive disks - albeit one at a time.
    Last edited by Radio Wales; 2011-06-01 at 16:59. Reason: Clarification

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I never used the cloning feature but I think the disks have to be the same size...

If you are adding a larger disk then you would use the ADD DISK option in TI...
    No, they do NOT have to be the same size - but that was true several years ago. With recent versions of Acronis, the drives can be different sizes. If the new drive is smaller, it must have sufficient space to contain all the data from the old drive.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Well, being a long time Acronis usuer I was probably thinking of that not knowing the newer versions don't have that limitation...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"