2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 4 on old computer: now or later?

I have an old Dell with a Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP, plenty of hard drive space.

According to Mozilla, this is more than enough to run Firefox 4.

Should I go ahead and install it? Or wait for updates to reduce the number of bugs?

J

Thanks
    Try Pale Moon.

Thanks
    If you are attracted to the new features of Firefox 4, why not give it a try? It's a good idea to run a backup first to preserve your bookmarks and other settings in your profile folder. (See Profiles for folder location information.)

(I had to upgrade my Pentium D system to 2GB of RAM; 1GB didn't allow for many programs to run simultaneously.)

Thanks
    Firefox 4 has already had a stability and performance update, namely Firefox 4.0.1. This version is stable and supports many extensions, although not all of my old favorites still work. Check to see if your favorite Firefox Extensions have a Version 4 compatible update before committing to the upgrade. Once the upgrade was installed and my profiles were updated, I found that Firefox 4 works perfectly well on my Pentium 4 laptop with just 512MB of RAM, shared with graphics. Firefox RAM usage depends partly on how many Extensions you add, so keep the number down until you know you will not have performance issues.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Intriguing! I might try this one myself.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried FF 4.0 and 4.0.1 and disliked it. I couldn't find half the things I was used to working with and many add-ons didn't work. I couldn't even get it to bring up a list of add-ons. Roboform got messed up and had to reconfigure it as well. I'm using windows 7 also. I went back to FF 3.6 and will stay with it until they fix all the bugs in 4.0.1
    Never miss a good chance to shut up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also try Portable Firefox. It is the same program repackaged so that it doesn't need to be installed. You can just copy it to a directory or even a thumb drive and use it on any PC just by launching the EXE file.

You should be able to use both versions of firefox at the same time (if not actually the same time, you could close one and open the other)

If you don't like it, you can simply delete the directory and your system will never know the difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Dave View Post
    I tried FF 4.0 and 4.0.1 and disliked it. I couldn't find half the things I was used to working with and many add-ons didn't work. I couldn't even get it to bring up a list of add-ons. Roboform got messed up and had to reconfigure it as well. I'm using windows 7 also. I went back to FF 3.6 and will stay with it until they fix all the bugs in 4.0.1
    The Firefox Add-ons issue hit me pretty hard too. Part of my issue was that I had a Limited/Standard User Account and its Profile did not update correctly. Now that the FEBE Extension is working again for Firefox 4, I would suggest backing up the user profile before upgrading, and then restore if necessary from a FEBE Backup. But Firefox 4 is getting better. These are mostly not core features issues. It will take add-ons developers awhile to catch up, as has been the case in previous Firefox upgrades.

Yes, Firefox upgrades tend to rearrange where things are in the menus and toolbars, and this can be frustrating at first. Newer is not always better for everyone. Chrome does much the same thing, but I still like it as a browser.

I haven't heard of the Roboform issue. Some Windows Secrets contributors have been using this program with Firefox 4, so they seem to think the issues are not very widespread.

But if you want to wait, that is your choice. As long as you get off Firefox 3.5 and stick with 3.6 or later, I will not criticize that choice. Someday an upgrade will be required, but by then we hope most of the bugs will be ironed out. If not, there's always Chrome.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I upgraded to Firefox 4 there was a compatibility issue with Norton Internet Security (FF4 deleted the NIS Identity Safe feature). As I really like the functionality of the Identity Safe I switched back to FF 3.8. I have not checked as of 20110604 to find out if FF4 or Norton put out a patch that will add the NIS Identity Safe to FF4. And.. I have not seen any notice regarding a fix. This same issue happen the last time FF had a major upgrade.

I am using FF on a 2011 Toshiba i5 Windows 7 x64 laptop. Have not install pak 1 yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Brother Dave & others who don't like the rearranged Firefox 4

Check out the "Hassle-Free PC" newsletter at PC World. Tells how to manipulate features in FF4 and put them back where we want them.

Hate new softwear - developers seem to think they have to move stuff around just to "move it." Leave me in my ruts! It's usually faster that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bevj View Post
    To Brother Dave & others who don't like the rearranged Firefox 4

Check out the "Hassle-Free PC" newsletter at PC World. Tells how to manipulate features in FF4 and put them back where we want them.

Hate new softwear - developers seem to think they have to move stuff around just to "move it." Leave me in my ruts! It's usually faster that way.
    Here's a link for that information.
    -- Bob Primak --