Thread: .dmp File

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

.dmp File

I've been having periodic crashes on my XP Home PC over the past year. Sometimes I'll go months without it happening and then it will happen a few times in a day or a week.

I posted this problem here about a month ago and got some good advice including being informed about the existence of the .dmp files in the Windows Minidump folder.

Well after about a month of clear sailing it crashed again this morning and there is the usual .dmp file report.

Rather than taking the trouble to download the software that will allow me to open the file.....with the result that I probably won't have a clue what it is telling me anyway.......is there someone out there who might be willing to lend a hand by taking a look at this morning's .dmp file and seeing if there are any clear clues there?

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Thanks
    Some dumps can be useful to help pinpoint the cause, others are only useful for picking out old drivers, it depends on the type of BSOD. If you copy it to your Desktop, zip it and attach the zip file here, I'm pretty someone will take a look through it for you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

I'll upload it in the morning.

BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

.dmp file attached

Here is the .dmp file. Hopefully someone could take a moment and look at it for me.

Thanks,
    BH Davis
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Hi BH Davis,

Do you by any chance have a Conexant Modem in your machine. The minidump seems to suggest there is a problem with the HSF_CNXT.sys and the HSF_DP.sys drivers. These drivers are part of the SoftK56 Modem Driver software.

If you do not use the modem, you can disable it or completely remove the hardware if installed in a desktop, or download and install up to date drivers.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you !!!!!!!!!

I do use the modem so will need to keep one in the PC. I just tried to search out a driver update but even though it was more recent XP didn't think it was. And yes.......it is a Conexant SoftK56 modem/driver setup.

The simplest thing to do here is just uninstall and replace that modem. They aren't expensive even if I don't have one on the shelf.

Thank you again for your help. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    Thank you !!!!!!!!!

I do use the modem so will need to keep one in the PC. I just tried to search out a driver update but even though it was more recent XP didn't think it was. And yes.......it is a Conexant SoftK56 modem/driver setup.

The simplest thing to do here is just uninstall and replace that modem. They aren't expensive even if I don't have one on the shelf.

Thank you again for your help. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.
    You are very welcome. Glad to help. I have one question though. Have you tried both your PC manufacturer as well as Conexant for more recent drivers than the one you have? You might possibly save yourself a little time and a little money.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Some good info on Conexant modems, how to ID them, drivers, etc. available from this page.

I would opt for an external modem if they're still available, the 'Winmodem/Softmodem' types have various issues - Known Problems (for the HSF softk56 family):
    This chipset can suffer horrendous connection problems, ranging from drop-outs, freezes & low-speed to summarily shutting the computer down on connection. Causes are many, including drivers (faulty programming), unsuitable hardware & other computer-system conflicts. Anything that throttles the PCI-bus affects the modem. In summary:

* Double the modem & computer Mfcs’ minimum recommendations for Memory & CPU speed.
    * Do not use a Cyrix 6x86 CPU (inadequate floating-point performance).
    * To check for video-related problems use a minimum-resolution screen and/or no Hardware acceleration.
    * To check for Sound conflicts do not play CDs whilst connecting.
    * Get the best (not the same as latest) driver for your ISP & stick with it.
    * If all else fails, reinstall Windows with just basic hardware attached & try again.

(Windows XP, 2000, Millennium): the phone line may be disconnected if a DVD/CD-ROM drive is configured to PIO mode (the default on some systems) and is in use. Configure to DMA mode (Device Manager, usually IDE ATA/ATAPI Channels, Primary and/or Secondary channel). Extra info: PIO is an old transfer-mode which ties up the CPU whilst moving data bit-by-bit across the computer bus; DMA uses a DMA-controller to rapidly shift blocks of data in parallel with the CPU, and was explicitly designed to solve the congestion problems caused by PIO transfers.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye,

Thanks again. In the end I did overwrite those two .sys files with newer versions I found on the Conexant site and will wait and see what happens. I did the overwrite directly into the Windows/System32/Drivers directory since the driver update wizard didn't seem to think it was a better version.

I've had this modem in this PC for years without a problem. However I put an SSD drive in about a year ago and reinstalled Windows and all drivers at that time. That is about when the crashes started happening. Your assistance in reading the .dmp file and letting me know the modem is likely the cause of the crashes is a HUGE help in solving that problem.

By the way..........other than perhaps causing the random crashes the modem works just fine..........even with the .sys files overwrite this morning. I only use it for faxing out price quotes and order confirmations to customers........all incoming faxes come into the standard fax machine in my office. They are both hooked to the same line by the way........along with my credit card verification machine (which is off unless in use, but was ON when the crash happened yesterday..........interesting point now that I know the .dmp file mentions the modem driver.).

BH