New Lounger
    Thanks

? What is best way to insert SSD drive as boot drive in new HP Laptop

Hi all - i know one of you guys has done this!

- i want to install a new SSD drive (smaller than my present SATA mechanical drive) as boot and use the platter drive as data drive.

?) Do i need to swap the hard-drive slots (replace the present drive with the SSD) or is that unnecessary - i'm guessing i can do the swap in bios.
    ?) Shall i uninstall a majority of apps now, before swapping, as i won't be able to uninstall them once the new drive is in - or can WIN7 figure out what's what. I'm hoping to install seldom used apps on the mechanical drive (in the same folder structure as they are presently installed)
    I know there is (used to be) some kind of utility for swapping installation/profiles to new machines, but i'm not sure it would apply here since my boot drive will be much smaller than the original drive.
    ?) Will i use the original backup discs to install? I thought i might burn an image to the SSD, but the original drive already has loads of data on it. If burning is really, really the way to go, i would take the time to delete and re-install everything.

i haven't found anything that matches this scenario, although i know its been done lots of times.

many thanks in advance for pointing me to docs/resources etc.

Thanks
    I do not know of any laptop that allows more than one HD to be installed at any given time. In a laptop senario you can have either an SSD drive or a regular spinning platter drive, not both if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps someone is now building laptops with the capacity to install 2 HD's, but this would be getting quite large and not a true laptop. Am I missing something?

If you are talking about a desktop, I would think you could create an Image of the original HD onto an ext HD, install the SSD drive, then restore the Image to the new drive. You might have to fix the MBR at this point. You should then be able to reattach the old drive and delelte the OS from this drive in Disk Manager and set the unallocated space to logical as a D Drive. You might have to reformat the unallocated space as NTFS, not sure.

After restoring the Image to the SSd drive, you can then move all data to the D Drive you just set up, thus separating ALL data from the OS and app disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe some laptops have the ability to swap out the floppy or optical drive for a 2nd (optional) HD.

Zig

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should be able to use the SSD manufacturers clone software to clone the original to the new, then swap them over. You will need a desktop machine and some SATA cables to be able to do this.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I believe the OP was asking how to install both HD's in his laptop (SSD drive for OS and platter drive for data) and I'm saying this probably will not be possible in a laptop senario.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy