5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WP7: Are flash and function too much to ask for?

HOT TIPS

WP7: Are flash and function too much to ask for?

By Katherine Murray

Does your age influence your savvy assessments of technical gear more than you'd like to think?

Katherine Murray and her son Chris compare their experiences in a two-part review of Windows Phone 7.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/hot-tips/WP7:-Are-flash-and-function-too-much-to-ask-for?/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Katherine, being 50+ does not preclude you from enjoying WP7 phones. Yours sounds like bad hardware. I have not had anywhere near your experience, in my 6 months with this HTC Trophy.

Yes, Microsoft have a lot of catching up to do. But as you see with Mango, they are committed to do so. And with Windows 8 heading in the same direction UI-wise, expect many improvements to cross-pollinate. MS are tenacious -- they will make their phones into best-of-breed soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like a hardware issue to me as well. I, also mid fifties, have been using my windows 7 phone for eight monthes without any issues. I use it all day, every day, both for personal and for my business, I am an IT consultant. The primary difference is mine is an LG not HTC. Contacts are easy to manage, and syncing is not an issue provided you set the phone up properly, as you can specifiy the locations of asll your sync folders. Perhaps you should try another phone and learn how to use it before slamming or faulting systems you simpky have not learned to use.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Does your age influence...?

I truly think it does. I have been involved with computers since the mid seventies. We built our own in the early eighties with a voice synthesizer and wrote software that would say 'D is for Derek'. I can not count the number of computers we have built & upgraded over the past 35 years. My son taught himself to read at four by playing King's Quest and could set up a printer by the time he was five. We kept him and his sisters in computers right through college. All three kids can change a hard drive and do much more. This past year we upgraded each of our personal computers plus the one tied to the TV. But the more computers you have in a household the more likely one will be down at any one time. We just informed our son that it is now his turn. We need him to keep our computers updated and running from now until we die. We have stipulated that if they put us in a home, it must have internet access.

Yet we both have basic phones and cannot drive them. I can't imagine having one of the smart phones and having so much more software to learn and configure and fail. Please just give me a phone that I can push buttons on, that will hold a connection until I hang up, and that doesn't need a manual that weighs three times what the phone does. Oops, showing my age again. I guess PDF files don't weigh that much.

Signed, Just turned a senior and ready to let the next generation take over.

Thanks
    I'm 13 years older than you, and I adore my WP7. It's sad that most of the apps concern farts. My Samsung Focus has never locked or done anything dysfunctional. The only problems have been caused by me.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I love this part:

I just want my contacts to be clean, easy to access, and low-maintenance; I don't want to do lots of sorting and combining and categorizing. The default should be clean and simple so that we don't have to think about it unless we really want to.

Is this asking too much of a cell phone??? !