5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Holy ! My Win7 backup folders are empty!

LANGALIST PLUS

Holy ! My Win7 backup folders are empty!

By Fred Langa

It's alarming: the folder that you thought held all your backups shows a size of zero bytes!

But it's also normal; your Windows backups are there just hidden. Here's how to see them.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/Holy-!-My-Win7-backup-folders-are-empty!/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Fred - the link for the above message leads to the wrong place!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why I don't use Win7 Backup .... verification of backup integrity. I have stuck with Acronis True Image Home mostly because it has the option to verify that the data it has written to my backup device is not corrupted - that in fact I can do a restore if necessary. As they say, experience can be a harsh teacher.

Nowhere have I found documentation that tells me Win7's (or Vista's, or XP's) built-in backup tool does anything to check the integrity of the backup files it creates. Can you help with my concern Fred?
    Jim Johnson
    Michigan's Lake Superior region
    How much snow do we have now?
    Visit Agate Reef

Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 Backup just gets better and better. Why hide the backups from their owner? Its not like the bad guys can't find them. This "feature" just puts more crap between the user and usability of the function. And, I get the impression that this is a good thing and we should just accept it. Phooey. That is why I use a different tool.

So, any idea what else Microsoft is hiding from us (or plannning to hide) while they consume our disk space and eat our CPU cycles?

The purported "free" Win7 Backup falls into the category of you get what you paid for.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So when you get ready to dump your PC, how do you tell if the files you can't see are purged?