2 Star Lounger

Sony VAIO battery life?

I'm contemplating taking my Sony VAIO laptop (VGN-TX5XN) on vacation, just to be able to watch DVD's on the plane. The battery is a VGP-BPS5A lithium-ion battery.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an extra battery. Websites claim a 7-1/2 hour life for the battery. Extrapolating from the gauge on my computer, implied life is 6 hours and 12 minutes, although my experience with light work (Word and occasional web use) is that the battery gets used up faster than the gauge would indicate.

Does watching a DVD drain the battery faster than light work? And does anyone have experience with a similar battery that could suggest a realistic estimate for battery life when watching DVD's?

California & Arizona
    Although I can't estimate the battery life while watching a DVD on a laptop, I can tell you with a degree of certainty that it does work the battery above that of casual usage.
    If you want to extend that DVD watching usage I would suggest either ripping the DVD to an XviD format and storing it on the HDD, or getting a supplement battery.
    But for a flight of only a few hrs you should be fine with what you have.

The reason for the extra usage of battery power would result from the usage of your CD/DVD drive.
    Ripping your own DVD's to hard drive would lesson the power usage that you would see with the use of the DVD drive.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-06-02 at 11:12.