Thanks

Strange, but that's OK...and Now the Question:

Guys, first of all, to anyone that has been following along with my monitor travels:

I had purchased a 64-bit Win-7, (from a seller), and it was that copy that I have been runing and trying to get set up over the last several weeks. This includes all the monitor issues I was having. Samsung said it sounded like a hardware issue. I was darn reluctant to unhook it and cart it off, so I've been putting that one off.

I thought I would try once more, so I went back to my backup of the "bare" install -- just installed, nothing more. When I went to activate it, it wouldn't. When I talked to Microsoft, they told me that that copy had belonged to an MSDN member who had lost his membership, and that the number was invalid. They told me they would sell me a reigistration for $195. I told them thanks but no.

I was seething and mulling what to do, and decided I would revert back to my 32-bit Widows copy -- that I KNOW is valid.

When I installed it, my monitor problems went away.

A bit costly but a worthwhile lesson. Too bad I had to pay for the (bogus) Windows and for a new video card to learn...

I suppose I'm just a bit gullible and apparently careless.

I'll know next time...

Is there a way to tell if a copy of Windwos a person might be thinking of buying is legit? It doesn't need to always be from MS or a store, 'cause what if a user just wanted to sell their copy?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2011-06-02 at 18:04.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is no way of telling if you don't have the DVD and key. If you are not purchasing from a well known seller you just take your chances.

Joe

Thanks
    Some of the pirated DVD's look very real. The bad guys are getting good at this. Buying software is one area where I tend to stay away from eBay and similar sites. It's too easy to get burned. And MS has gotten much better at feretting out these illegal copies, as Chuck found out. As Joe states, stick with larger, reputable sellers that stand behind their sales.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Guys, first of all, to anyone that has been following along with my monitor travels:

I was seething and mulling what to do, and decided I would revert back to my 32-bit Widows copy -- that I KNOW is valid.

When I installed it, my monitor problems went away.

Chuck,
    Hello...Thanks for posting back with the resolution for your problem... This drives home the importance of having a backup... and how it can get you out of trouble in about 10 minutes... Best Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post

Chuck,
    Hello...Thanks for posting back with the resolution for your problem... This drives home the importance of having a backup... and how it can get you out of trouble in about 10 minutes... Best Regards Fred
    Yea guys, I guess I just got a little sloppy (and cheap) and all these years. Ah well...In the final analysis, I didn't gain that much from 64-bit anyway. Especially as I had to give up a couple of programs that weren't 64-bit ready. So I suppose its OK.

I'm still stuck with the damn monitor problem though. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to end up having to buy one...yuck...

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"