Thanks

Angry WSL Page Size - Part 2

Hi Folks, I'm using FF 5, same occurred in FF 4 & IE 9, all at default setting. PC is on native monitor setting. Zoom is at default with ' View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only' unchecked.
    Fig.1 is ok, but hard to read (small print)

Attachment 28230

Clicked to read my post, now scroll bar appears at bottom of page in Fig 2, Zoom unchanged.

Attachment 28231

Decrease page zoom, no scroll bar, totally unreadable, Fig. 3

Attachment 28232

Increase zoom till readable. Scroll Bar reappears. Reset zoom to default 'Ctrl+0'. Tick box to increase text size only (as above ) zoom till readable, this happens when I return to index page, Fig. 4

Attachment 28233
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2011-06-02 at 21:47. Reason: additional text
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    "Regular" zoom scales page dimensions proportionately. The nice thing is, the layout doesn't break. The bad thing is, horizontal scrolling when you get above 125-150%.

Zooming text only usually does not affect the overall width of the page, because most sites are designed in pixels. (For sites that set dimensions based on the standard character size (em or ex units), Zoom Text Only may increase their width. vBulletin forums are not in that category.)

It would be handy if there were a forum skin that flexed well vertically while not exceeding 100% of the width. Then you could use Zoom Text Only and not have anything cut off. But I don't know whether such a skin exists.

One workaround would be to hack the Lounge's styles using an add-on such as Stylish to address these issues. One "userstyle" could add flexibility for text-only zoomers, while another one could constrain horizontal width for regular zoomers. Building and testing style definitions is slightly intricate work, but if many people want larger text, it could be worth the work of putting them together.

---

Wait, you have a horizontal scrollbar without zooming? Clearly it is not a problem in the normal layout. Perhaps there is an issue with third party content such as advertisements or add-ons such as ad blockers. Will investigate further.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-06-03 at 17:20. Reason: Hmmm...

Thanks
    Okay, it's due to the new "social networking" buttons above the posts. To see what I mean, paste this to the address bar and press Enter to hide them:

Code:
    javascript:void(document.querySelector(".socialbuttons").style.display="none");
    (I didn't notice this before because it doesn't happen on my layout. Moderators have different menus which push the buttons further to the left.)

"Someone" needs to figure out why that little set of buttons stretches the layout.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-06-03 at 17:48. Reason: More info.

Thanks
    Hi jscher2000, I have not used your code as yet, I took my thumb drive to my brothers, on it I have a browser called 'PaleMoon' portable. I accessed WSL using his Vista Home Prem. and played with the zoom, It displayed perfectly.
    Thinking something had happened to my PC's, I did a complete clean install on my laptop, which I have just finished with only the basics installed, used PaleMoon portable to write this and its still the FN same.
    As its now 0230hrs UK its bed time, must get my beauty sleep.

Thanks
    I found a 'workaround' that solved my problem.