Thanks

Addressing a router behind a router

Hi,
    I have a DSL gateway/router provided by my ISP. I wanted to set it up in passthrough mode but they actually check to see that I am not doing that. So it is setup as a gateway router with firewall turned off. The WAN side could be 208.67.222.222 (but it isn't, that's actually the OpenDNS server). The LAN side of that router is 192.168.4.1 (there are other subnets on a VPN that passes through all of this.) Connected to that LAN is a router with VPN endpoint. The WAN side of this router is just set to get its address by DHCP, but I've noticed that it is always 192.168.4.100. So how do I address this router directly from the Internet side?
    Thanks,

Brian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as I haven't misunderstood the question... here goes.

I believe that you'd have to setup port forwarding on the router connected to the internet... and point it to the other router.

So, if you were trying to access the 2nd routers http you could set it up on port 8080 (or something) then tell the first router to forward port 8080 to the other routers address.

You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Just make sure that they're on the same subnet. 255.255.255.0 for instance. Give router one the ip block 192.168.1.10-255 (so the first routers IP is 192.168.1.1) and give the second router block 192.168.2.10-255 (so the second routers IP is 192.168.2.1).

... This is how I would set it up, and how I have set it up in the past.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The second router probably obtains its IP address from the first router. To make sure the address does not change you should set a reservation in the DHCP table on the first router.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The port forwarding I get. The part about the subnets I do not. The Gateway router acquires its IP address from the ISP, though it seems to be always the same. The LAN side of the Gateway router is 192.168.4.1 and the DHCP server is turned on. The second router acquires its IP address from the Gateway router's DHCP server, but I could just assign it a static IP address. Then I could forward port 8080 to that address. Have I got that right now?

BTW, on my old routers, remote administration was on port 8080 by default, though I could switch it to port 80 if I wanted to. On my new routers, remote admin is on port 80 by default, though I can change it to 8080 if I want. Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks very much,

--Brian

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You always need to forward a port to devices inside your network. This is standard router / firewall behaviour.

There is no difference which port you use, they will all be attacked by the script kiddies so keep your ID/password very strong and use a password manager to remember it.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I mentioned NeoRouter in another thread of yours and it may work for you in this situation as well. The NeoRouter client would need to be installed on a machine attached to the downstream router, which would then allow remote access to said machine, thus allowing admin access to the router.