New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting while pasting documents

Hi,

I am using Word 2007 version. I have a query regarding the procedure that I need to follow to copy and paste document to another word document. The issue is, that the formatting is not at all same even when you select the keep souce formatting from the Advanced word options. I need to have a document that should look exactly the same as that of the original document. Please let me know the options that I need to take care from the Advanced options while pasting content in to a new document (or any other way). I have attached a sample document for your reference, when you copy and paste its content in to a new document, some of the formatting is lost. We need to take care of the smallest of the things such as a space as well while performing this task.
    Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2011-06-08 at 09:12. Reason: Removed attachment at poster's request.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Without seeing both documents, it may be hard to reproduce the exact issue you're having - can you attach a second document, demonstrating the problem after the text is pasted in?

Just as a general observation, when you need to ensure that formatting stays stable, it's best to create specific styles (both paragraph and character, as needed) that are defined to produce the formatting you need. Everything in this document is done via direct formatting, and in practice direct formatting doesn't always stay stable when pasting from one document to another.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree with Gary's advice about creating specific styles when merging separate documents. However, your sample appears to be a form that must be printed an filled out by hand. If that's the case, you're better off (& there will be less formatting work) if you paste an image of the form into your other document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting while pasting documents(2)

Hi,
    Thank you for the response. I am attaching another sample document and the result document after pasting the original copy. As you can see, the entire formatting is lost after copying the sample document. I cannot copy the document as an image as the fields depicted in red color need to be replaced after copying the text, which is done using a software. I am not sure how to apply styles for the text in this document to retain formatting. Can you please elaborate by giving examples in this document or any other way so that the document can be copied as it is to the software interface? For example, the two column format has been converted to a single column format in the result document. Similarly, a lot of spaces as well as changes in representation of text is visible in the result document. How can I automate this task so that a minimal effort is spent after copying text from the source to the destination to create an exact copy of the source document?
    Looking forward to your response. I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
    Anuj
    Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2011-06-07 at 09:16. Reason: Removed duplicated content; Removed attachments which may contain private information

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Anuj,

First, a couple of procedural notes: I re-merged your duplicated thread back into this one, a couple of days ago. You should be able to attach documents to a post in an existing thread; no need to create new threads just to post attachments.
    Next, I didn't get a chance to look at your attachments until today, but am going to remove them from your post now because (I think) they contain too much proprietary and legal information (including document property metadata) to be suitable for posting publicly.

However here are a few suggestions for what may be going wrong:
    1) The two documents are based on different templates: The Sample document is based on a template called "DMID_093_Master_Lease_Agreement", whereas the Result document is just based on Normal.dot. If you want to take highly-formatted content (such as in this document) and reliably paste it into another document while retaining formatting, you should try to have the Target document be based on the same template as the source document

2) Next, in the source document, all of the formatting is 'direct formatting' applied on top of conflicting style formatting. For example, most of the content of the document has Heading 1 or Heading 2 applied, and the font is Trebuchet MS, 8 points. But take a look at the style definitions - all of the Heading styles are set up to produce Courier New, 12 points.
    As a rule, if you want formatting to stay stable when moving stuff from one document to another, you should define the styles to produce the type of formatting you need, and then simply apply the styles to the document content (rather than directly applying the formatting to the document content).
    To make things worse, in the Result document, the Heading styles are defined completely differently - to produce Comic Sans 48 pt. There are too many conflicting formatting instructions involved here, to expect Word to be able to sort it out flawlessly.

3) With regard to the content changing from two-column to single-column: look at the Continuous section break on page 1 of the Source document - that's where the two-column formatting gets stored. In the Result document, this has changed to a Next Page section break. That sometimes does happen when pasting section breaks - to fix this one, in the Result document click anywhere in the section content, below the section break, then go to the Page Layout tab > Page Setup group, and click on the little square Dialog Launcher box at the bottom right of the page Setup group. In the ensuing Page Setup dialog, click on the Layout tab, and in the Section Start dropdown, change it from New Page to Continuous, and click 'OK' to close the dialog. Then set up the two-column formatting again.

Hope this helps,
    Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

Thank you so much for your help, importing all the styles of the source document before pasting the content seems to be working fine. I apologize again for creating a new thread for attaching new files, however, I still do not know the procedure to add or delete attachments from an existing thread. It would be great if you can delete the sample document posted in my first thread.
    Thanks once again. you guys are doing a great job.

Regards,
    Anuj

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Anuj,

Glad you were able to get that to work. Just a reminder that you should still look into redefining the properties of the styles, so that they produce the kind of formatting your document requires. Leaving a big mismatch between the styles versus the direct formatting applied over the styles in the document itself, increases the likelihood of further problems with the document, down the road. When you're producing a document that's going to serve as a form or template, it becomes especially important to make sure they're stable.

To attach a document while replying in a thread, first click 'Reply' and then on the 'Go Advanced' button. You'll then see a place to manage attachments, in the 'Additional Options' section.

Gary