Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SP1 Problem Stopping Repair Install

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1,and I tried to do a repair install.This failed, as I anticipated, because "the Windows version you have is newer than the version on the DVD" (or words to that effect).
    The problem is that I have SP1 but don't know how to uninstall it, because it is not shown in installed updates. I think the reason is that I restored my system previously from a system image, but I am not sure about this.

If I search for SP1 (KB979632) all I can find are 4 files,being 2 Security Catalog files, a MUM file and an SES file.

Can anyone tell me how to unistall SP1 in this situation? If not I will have to try to get hold of a copy of a Win7 disk with SP1 (not a slipstreamed version) or do a clean install, which I hoped to avoid.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel > Progarms and Features and click on "View Installed Updates. Scroll down to Microsoft windows and you should find "Service Pack fo Microsoft windows". Right click on it and select uninstall.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry, thanks but I have tried that and the Service Pack is not listed.However, the program SIW shows it under installed updates and shows its ID as 456197ca-06ff-4bcf-aeae-c5183e3ae72f. I am currently waiting for Windows Search to see if it can locate it, but do you or does anyone else,have any other ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Have a look at this article first:
    How To Uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1

You might try installing SP-1, then uninstall it as you normally would otherwise.
    What is the reason for the repair install?

Thanks
    I think part of the problem may be the attempt to restore from an image. If this restore was before you installed SP1 then it should not show up as an installed update. If you did a restore from an Image, as Clint asks, why the system repair??? Was you Image Up To Date or very much out of date. If out of date, you would have to reinstall updates. Did you use Win 7 Backup / Restore to create the Image or a 3rd party app? I have found the 3rd party apps such as Acronis or Macrium Reflect do a far superior job for my uses. YMMV!

It is possible that a complete reinstall will be necessary. At times starting over seems quicker than trying to fix things.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone.

The reason I needed to reinstall was that out of the blue an "installing device driver" message popped up and installation failed. Device Manager showed that no driver was installed for my HP printer. I tried the Add A Printer route from Devices and Printers, but driver installation failed again. The reason for failure was given as "the core driver package needed to install the printer driver is missing",or words to that effect.Why the "installing device driver" message popped up is a mystery to me. Prior to that message the printer worked normally. I wasted time trying to get help from HP.Frankly,HP's support people were useless.Each time a different person responded it was obvious that he or she had not bothered to read my previous emails.

I discovered the reason I was unable to uninstall SP1,namely after installing it I used the Windows 7 SP1 Clean Up Tool,and I won't make that mistake again.

I did a successful clean install,and then dragged and dropped selected files and folders from my Macrium Reflect disk image, and doing that successfully restored my program files,documents,emails etc.etc.,right down to my desktop icons.

I did not restore the complete image, because that would have landed me with the same SP1 problem,and presumably the same printer driver problem as before.

I will now make a new disk image.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Regards,Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2011-06-05 at 20:03. Reason: Hit the reply button too early by mistake,