New Lounger
    Thanks

Directory Mail Merge problem

Hi

Please could someone help me I have been trying to get this to work since yesterday and I cannot get it to work. I tried following the Tutorial about creating sorted lists but I can only get a long list as if it was a normal mail merge (it is definately a Directory Mail Merge)

can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Please see attached.

Graham
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,

For this to work as per the tutorial, you whole page needs to be within the field code. It seems you'll be needing text both before and after the repeated data, so use the 'Merge to Table By Category, With Text After the Table' example from page 15 of the tutorial as the basis with, apparently, only the last row of your final table for the repated data.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Macropod

I have managed to get the form displaying how I want. I have a title at the top and then the address and then the data that needs to be listed using the address.

The problem I now have is that Once the address appears once it is still putting the lines of data on seperate pages, the table joiner macro doesnt seem to be working for me, any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,
    Quote Originally Posted by columbo1977 View Post
    I have managed to get the form displaying how I want. I have a title at the top and then the address and then the data that needs to be listed using the address.

The problem I now have is that Once the address appears once it is still putting the lines of data on seperate pages, the table joiner macro doesnt seem to be working for me, any ideas?
    Are you sure your document is configured for a Directory/Catalog merge? If it's not, that would explain both the separate pages and the table joiner macro not working.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Yes it is Office 2003 and it is set to Directory Mail Merge.

Graham

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,

After the mergefields, there shouldn't be anything other than the obligatory final paragraph mark. Anything else will mess it up. Does your document have a Page/Section break, perhaps?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Hi Graham,

After the mergefields, there shouldn't be anything other than the obligatory final paragraph mark. Anything else will mess it up. Does your document have a Page/Section break, perhaps?
    Hey

I have the title info inside the code as per your tutorial and I have a page break after the data that would need to be repeated, If I don#t put a page break there it tries to put all of the data in the same cells, so it overlaps?

Hope that made sense.

Take a look at attached, see if you think it looks right.

Thanks

Graham
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,

Your tables should not have the 'around' text wrapping. If you look at the tables in the 'Merge to Table By Category, With Text After the Table' example on page 15 tutorial, you'll see they don't have that. As for the page breaks, you shouldn't have those where you have your's. Again, if look at the field code for the same example, you'll see a field coded as {QUOTE 12}. As explained on page 6 of the tutorial, that's what generates the page break (when required) and that's where it (or a page break) should appear in your field overall code.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Hi Graham,

Your tables should not have the 'around' text wrapping. If you look at the tables in the 'Merge to Table By Category, With Text After the Table' example on page 15 tutorial, you'll see they don't have that. As for the page breaks, you shouldn't have those where you have your's. Again, if look at the field code for the same example, you'll see a field coded as {QUOTE 12}. As explained on page 6 of the tutorial, that's what generates the page break (when required) and that's where it (or a page break) should appear in your field overall code.
    Hi Paul

Cheers for the help so far, I can almost feel it working ...

But I changed it to {QUOTE 12} instead of the normal Page Break and I took off the resizing and the "around" now when I run the macro it moved the one of the first page up so it is flush with the titles but it doesnt bring the others from the other pages up.

Any ideas?

Graham

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,

Did you put the {QUOTE 12} field in the location indicated in the tutorial?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To be honest I have tried it all over, I just cannot seem to get the other records to move up to the others.

I have one at the very end just before "} so my codes end with {quote 12}"} If I dont do this then they have no page breaks and they all just carry on with no seperate letters.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Graham,

You need to put the field in the location indicated in the tutorial. Saying that you have "have tried it all over" suggests you haven't paid attention to where the tutorial indicates it should go.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have paid attention but I am new to the field codes and it isn't simple, I am trying.... There are allot of different scenerios on the tutorial and on the ones for merging with tabels it is no longer in there which was why I was confused.

I now have them all on the same page by re positioning the {QUOTE 12} from where it is earlier in the tutorial.

But.... Lol the macro is only closing the distance on the first one only, the gaps are still there for the others( equivalent of 2 cr in between each table), any idea why?

I have added a screenshot of my form if it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by columbo1977; 2011-06-09 at 11:10. Reason: added screenshot

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone got any idea why it is only moving the 1st set of repeated data up to the titles (on each new letter) and not doing the rest. I need to get this sorted for work.

EDIT: Just to confuse you further, I have run the Mail Merge in Office 2010 and in that one it allows me to run the Table Joiner code 3 times to remove all the blank lines. So it works after running a couple of times. Office 2003 isnt allowing me to run the code more than once.

Thanks

Graham
    Last edited by columbo1977; 2011-06-13 at 08:19.