2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When is "X Not Responding" telling the truth?

A small annoyance with Win7 having to do with the error message saying that some program is not responding. I wish I knew when to believe it. Sometimes the program has truly hung, requiring Task Manager to stop it, and others times it is just busy, perhaps saving a large file, and becomes fully functional again after a while. Stopping it with Task Manager in the latter case means losing the data in the program.

Thanks
    As you stated, sometimes the program is just busy, or there may be other processes that are set to a higher priority or demand high resources and the program not responding has to wait for those to clear. When you see this behavior, if you can bring up Task Manager, check Processes to see if any are demanding high CPU cycles. Also check the Performance tab to check CPU and memory usage. Usually, things will clear up in a few moments.

There is the possibility of active malware on your machine as well. Therefore it would be useful to run full scans with your antimalware software. You can also download Process Explorer and Autoruns to check what is running in more detail, and what applications are starting at logon. Right clicking on the processes in Process Explorer can give you the option to go on the web for information about the process. You can spot processes that are resource hogs very quickly with Process Explorer. You might even find some that belong to software you have already uninstalled. Start with the Autoruns Logon tab first, as Autoruns can give you informational overload. Some recommend WhatsInStartup as well.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-03 at 11:33. Reason: add content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

DavidToronto (2011-07-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run into this quite frequently. Usually, though not always, Win7 will say that a program has stop responding and will now close. Other times, its only Not Responding on the task bar. Open task manager and click on the processes tab. Sort by Image Name and look for the offending program. Check it's CPU and Memory utilization. If one or both are "stuck", that is the numbers are not changing over a several minute period, its likely that the program is truly hung. If either CPU or Memory is changing, even a little, the program is busy doing what ever it does.
    Chuck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

DavidToronto (2011-07-09)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto View Post
    A small annoyance with Win7 having to do with the error message saying that some program is not responding.
    David,
    Hello... I have noticed this behavior as well, and had some issues with "freeze ups" with "7". If you have Nvidia for your graphics ...see my post #8 in this thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/138313-I-m-playing-quot-Stump-the-Dummy-quot-with-Windows-7! After doing this procedure the problem seems to be gone....(about a week or so now) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Yes guys, I have had this happen very often also.

I think it's a bug being it's happening to so many people.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"