Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old windows games won't run on Windows 7

I love the old games of Freespace and Minesweeper, the ones that came out (probably?) with Win98. With Vista came new "sytlized-up" versions that I don't like--they are too fancy, harder to read, are missing some handy play features. So, I blindly tried copying the old .exe files onto the Vista computer, did the same with cards.dll, and was pleased to see that they ran just fine. I did the same with an XP computer. This was great!

Now I have a new computer, 64-bit, running Windows 7 (64-bit), and I find that these applications will not run. In fact NONE of my old favorite (MS) games will run. I get an error saying that the files are incompatible with the current OS.

I'm guessing this means I can't run the 32-bit applications on the 64-bit computer, but why should this matter? Can anyone suggest if there's a way to fix this, or should I just give it up?

Daryl

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    I love the old games of Freespace and Minesweeper, the ones that came out (probably?) with Win98. With Vista came new "sytlized-up" versions that I don't like--they are too fancy, harder to read, are missing some handy play features. So, I blindly tried copying the old .exe files onto the Vista computer, did the same with cards.dll, and was pleased to see that they ran just fine. I did the same with an XP computer. This was great!

Now I have a new computer, 64-bit, running Windows 7 (64-bit), and I find that these applications will not run. In fact NONE of my old favorite (MS) games will run. I get an error saying that the files are incompatible with the current OS.

I'm guessing this means I can't run the 32-bit applications on the 64-bit computer, but why should this matter? Can anyone suggest if there's a way to fix this, or should I just give it up?

Daryl
    Are you using W7 professional which gives you WXP compatibility? marty

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this ....
    How do I get minesweeper to my new windows 7?

Looks like you can get Minesweeper and others.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the old games came with Win98 they are just as likely to be a 16-bit game as they are to be a 32-bit game. 16-bit programs will not run on a 64-bit Windows. If they are indeed 32-bit you could try running them in compatability mode.

Joe

Thanks
    Actually 32 bit apps do work on 64 bit windows. I suspect your games are actually 16 bit games as anything designed for Win 98 is most likely 16 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your quick responses. I had accidentally been using a mix of versions of these games on various computers. I didn't even know that some were 16 bit and some were 32 bit. I can now make sure there is a 32-bit version on my 64-bit computers.

I am back up and running! Productivity!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe