Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sudden loss of WWW on Win98 PC, network working / internet working

An old Windows 98 PC that has had Outlook configured to check my Comcast mail for ages suddenly began returning "The server could not be found" messages (both send and receive) today. I worked with a Comcast tech but could not figure out the problem, except to discover that neither Outlook nor Firefox can see the net either. However, it then gets weird, because here are the things we ruled out:

• The affected PC can see other PCs on the network and browse the shared folder on an XP machine on the same network switch, so its not the NIC.
    • All other PCs on the network have internet access, so its not Comcast, the cable modem or the router.
    • IE shows that it's on-line.
    • Mail port is configured correctly as determined by Comcast tech.
    • Reboots do not help.

It sounds like a software issue, but I can't find anything wrong and definitely did not change the configuration prior to the problem occurring . If anyone has a suggestion as to what might cause this failure, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Have you tried emptying your TIF?

Can you connect to the router management web site from the affected PC?

See Winsock Fix for 98 for a more drastic fix.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strangely enough...

...the problem cleared up on its own a couple of hours later. Firefox's temp files on that PC are limited to 10 megs, so I don't know if that would have helped (but I hit the button anyway, just in case).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Have you tried emptying your TIF?

Can you connect to the router management web site from the affected PC?

See Winsock Fix for 98 for a more drastic fix.

Joe