Lounger
    Thanks

Should I Upgrade

A question for all you browser users out there.

I run FireFox 3.6.17 as my browser and I really like it as it so far does everything I need without any glitches or problems. I also have IE8 but never use it and keep it only because as I understand I have to have IE to receive windows auto updates.

My concern is that I also like to be as secure as possible by keeping everything up to date via FileHippo & Secunia PSI but FireFox keeps prompting me to update to FireFox 4.

I have seen on this forum as well as others some people have problems with FireFox 4 and so I am wondering if the upgrade is worth the possible problems?????

Also the same with upgrading to IE9. Would that be necessary for security reasons even though I do not use IE and only have it for receiving the windows auto updates?????

Thank You for any advice in this area
    Glenn

Thanks
    Hi, Glenn!

I too delayed upgrading to FF 4 because I was satisfied with FF 3.6.17, and had read that others were having problems with the new Fire Fox. Why mess around with something that is working fine, right? I eventually took the plunge and upgraded; security was a concern to me, also. And I wanted a browser that supported WebM video, which FF 4 does. After taking a little time to feel my way around FF 4, I was able to easily get it set up to my liking, and have been very pleased with the change. My only losses were a few incompatible add-ons that I had liked, but have been able to live without. I have experienced no problems with it.

Regarding IE 9, I also held off because, again, others were experiencing problems with it, and I NEVER use IE. After Woody's post on May 7, I went ahead and installed, simply for security reasons. I still haven't used it. Here's a link to Ask Woody; you'll have to travel back to view the May 7 post.

I know that I haven't provided any really compelling reasons for either decision. But I definately related to your reluctance to shake things up that are working just fine. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glenn, I would stick with FF3 for a little longer, the FF people are still supporting it.

John, what plug-ins didn't migrate?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

Hi, Paul!

A browser extension for Ad Muncher, which is an ad blocker that I paid a small amount for a couple of years ago. The app works fine without the extension functioning. There were 2 or 3 others, but I can't even remember what they were, as I deleted them. Guess that shows that I didn't need them as badly as I thought! I'm sure that at one time they performed some function that I found useful. Enjoy your weekend.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    I post a lot on the official Mozilla support forum, and most problems seem to relate to the major UI changes.

Also, some add-ons such as the Ask toolbar and various older add-ons create mysterious symptoms like not being able to open links in a new tab or popping up script errors on every page.

After that, people find some pages that are not compatible with the new HTML5 parser; you can toggle that off if you find important sites don't work well.

And there is an annoying feature that "dialog" style pop-up windows (e.g., some blogs pop up their comments in a small window) don't let you open new tabs in them but instead direct the new tabs to a regular window. I'm not sure whether that's going to ruin anyone's day, but it's one of those features/bugs that perhaps was not completely thought out in implementation.

Usually people return to 3.6 because a critical site (e.g., university system, company system) doesn't support Firefox 4 for some reason.

(I don't read every thread, obviously, so there may be other new issues that I haven't read about.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Glenn, I would stick with FF3 for a little longer, the FF people are still supporting it.

cheers, Paul
    only stick with FF 3.6. those using FF 3.0/3.5 or older should upgrade asap.
    FF 3.6 will be supported until late 2011. it'll be EOLed after 3.6.19 gets released later this year.

Thanks
    For,All that want the old plug in's to work on newer a newer version of Firefox.
    Option1:Install the Compatibility Reporter add-on which will make the old addons work properly in Firefox4.
    Option2:If you are not interested to install an extra add-on,then simply follow the steps to avoid Compatibility Test.
    Go to your address bar in Firefox 4 & type....about:config
    A new window will open.Now right click anywhere on it & select....New->Boolean.
    Anew pop up box will appear where you need to type; extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0
    And in the next window,set the value to false.
    That's it! Now all your old addons will work on Firefox4.0

Note: You can use the same work around around in the upcoming Firefox versions to make the old plugins compatible with the newer version.In step 3,simply change "extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0" to the version you like.
    I would also like to suggest that when the newer version seems alittle slow.Upgrade your video card drivers.Because of the hardware acceleration mode.You can find the setting above in the;Tools,Options then click on the General tab.Another tip,since you are already their.Click on the,Network tab put a check mark in the box next to; Override automatic cache management set,the Limit to 100mb of space.
    I hope the suggestions above will help some.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So it sounds like FF4 is a reasonable upgrade. Does the absence of mention of FF5 & 6 mean that they are not ready for prime time - at least for late adapters?
    Last edited by Acarolinensis; 2011-09-18 at 16:56. Reason: OCD

Thanks
    Firefox 4 and 5 are obsolete and insecure. The only good choices are Firefox 3.6.22 and Firefox 6.0.2. At least as of this moment.