New Lounger
    Thanks

Why do OneNote graphics disappear in Word?

Graphics will disappear when saving OneNote page as word doc– mystery -sort of solved-

I kept discovering that all the graphics were gone and replaced by a small red x with a white outline box when saving a OneNote article to a MSWord doc. (either .doc or docx. – did not matter which format.

My OneNote folders are saved at:

D:\Documents\OneNote Notebooks

I discovered that when saving a OneNote file as doc, a folder was created here in a Temp folder:

C:\Users\(xxx)_admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{DD13090A-9E95-414F-A17B-BF72BE28C5CF}_files

When that Temp folder was cleared (files within the folder deleted), then the graphics disappeared in the Word doc!

Obviously, the graphics are “held” in that folder to be made available to the Word article that I had saved. This means that the -OneNote to Word- docs are useless when transferred to another computer or sent to another person.

-When saving the OneNote article as PDF of XPS the problem does not exist; the graphics are fine.

-When creating a Word doc using standard copy and paste into the doc, there is no problem…the graphics are preserved.

So, how do I “force” OneNote to save the graphics within the OneNote file, or is that possible?
    Last edited by mgo; 2011-06-04 at 09:55.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a couple of OneNote links that may help......

Getting Organized with OneNote 2010 - From Win7News on June 2, 2011

Blog about above article

OneNote 2010 – What’s New For You

Thanks
    I don't use OneNote, so I wonder whether you can check something for me: when you are viewing the Word document, if you press Alt+F9 to toggle the display of field from field results to field codes, are the images replaced with field codes (e.g., {INCLUDEPICTURE})? If so, what kinds of codes are they?

You can convert field codes to their results ("unlink" them) by selecting them or clicking in them and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

(You can press Alt+F9 again to toggle the display back to field results.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't use OneNote, so I wonder whether you can check something for me: when you are viewing the Word document, if you press Alt+F9 to toggle the display of field from field results to field codes, are the images replaced with field codes (e.g., {INCLUDEPICTURE})? If so, what kinds of codes are they?

You can convert field codes to their results ("unlink" them) by selecting them or clicking in them and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

(You can press Alt+F9 again to toggle the display back to field results.)
    hi

for some reason, I cannot copy and paste the code results of alt+f9 so I have sent three jpegs for your info.

But, the key presses do produce the information you mentioned.

Why does OneNote save the graphics to C:\ temp??? Could it be because I have my OneNote folder in drive D, rather than the root?

many thanks for any help!

Thanks
    I can't tell from the images whether converting to a regular picture instead of a linked picture was successful.

My guess is that OneNote is converting to HTML first before opening the document in Word. This kind of operation commonly is done in the temp folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm just going to declare this a bug (right or wrong it is a bug to me!) and settle for saving any OneNote articles as PDF or XPS, or simply copy and paste the whole shebang into a new Word doc, which does preserve everything reliably. I don't do this task very often anyway, since OneNote has proven itself to be rock-solid and very capable over the years. OneNote's very own indexing is terrific, too. My main concern was -why- were the graphics going away mysteriously, and now that I know it is a Temp folder (dis)-function in saving the graphics during the conversion to Word, at least I know what to look out for in the future. I have Googled the heck out of this for months, and you are the only person with any sort of clue at all...
    Thanks...

Thanks
    I'm late to this thread - but what version of OneNote are you using?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do not have this issue when I save as a Word document. I am using Onenote 2007 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Also using Word 2007.

Check to see IF the original images still exist on the internet at the link that they were pasted from.

I do have a bunch of these folders at "C:\Users\(xxx)_admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{different letters and numbers}" but they are all empty and none of them are dated today as I have made several test files today to see what is happening.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also had no trouble copying (Ctrl-C) and pasting (Ctrl-V) figures from One note to Word 2007, even after a reboot. How did you do the transfer? This sounds a bit like OLE rather than a real copy.