New Lounger
    Thanks

Remote computer account-information queries

There are application situations where I want to access another computer on my home network where a window pops up asking for my User name and Password. I can never figure out what is required here to connect.

Is it the user name of the remote computer administrator and that password? Is it the network password? Does the ID need a path?

If the remote computer admin name = Joe and his password = abc do you just type Joe in the ID or must you also put the path PCname/workgoup/Joe or some other combination?

P.S. These same computers talk to each other fine in the normal work environment. It is when some application asks for the information.

Thank you,
    john18

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is normally a account and password that is on THAT machine.

Just enter the account name and password no path.

What program(s) are asking for these?
    Also what OS is on these different machines?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can prepend the machine name to the user name if it's not working, comp_name\jjoe

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave & Paul,

Thanks for responding. I have tried both of these methods without any success. I guess it could be another issue. I ran into the question in the past I believe using Norton Ghost saving to a remote location it asked for ID and PW and I could never figure it out. Most recently I was using MS Volume Activation Management Tool that provided an option to update remote computer status where it is asking for this information. Since there are several ID/PW combinations I wanted to be sure I was using the correct logon format before I chased some other path.
    john18

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to respond to the Operating systems trying to be accessed. Both systems are Windows 7 64 bit and the source is a Windows 7 32 bit.
    john18

Thanks
    Are all the PC's set to share with all others on the network. Type Sharing in the search box and check the Network and Sharing Center, and the Advanced Sharing section. I have found that these can cause some of this type of problems. You can also set sharing on each individual folder using right click, but I don't think this is your situation. In the Advanced Sharing section you can ebable or disable Password protection. I would also check firewall settings to ensure the firewalls allow proper connection between PC's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    File sharing was on for all computers. I did find differences in HomeGroup connections and Password protected sharing that I am experimenting with. At the moment I have less access than before.
    I will be away from the computers for a few days and will experiment more when I return. I do appreciate the suggestions by everyone.
    If I resolve this when I return I'll post the answer.
    john18

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since they are all Windows 7 machines, make a Admin account on ALL machines using the SAME user name and password.
    Make sure that the accounts on each machine works, log out of the new account and log back in using your real account. Do NOT use "Switch User".
    Things now should work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm away from my computers until late this week. I will definately try your suggestion and report back.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    john18

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave,
    I tested your suggestion by setting up two other computers with the same admin name and no password. The more I played with this Microsoft VMAT software I think I'm dealing with a setup problem associated with the application and not just a general network connection configuration. I'm going to look into other alternatives that don't use VMAT.

My thanks to you and the others that offered suggestions.
    john18

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You MUST have a password on all machines, and blank one will NOT work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to contact Microsoft and the application I was trying to use was not necessary for what I was trying to do so my problem is OBE (Overcome By Events). I will definatley keep notes provided to me about this overall issue as I'm sure I will run into it again.

The sharing of your knowledge is much appreciated.
    john18