5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner Registry Cleaner: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

I'm fairly new to CCleaner, having been introduced to it here in the Lounge. In looking into more of its features, I found Registry Cleaner. It came up with dozens of issues, way too many for a screenshot. Things like Missing Shared DLLs, Unused File Extensions, invalid or empty file classes, Active X/COM Issues, Installer Reference Issues, invalid Firewall rules, obsolete software (Norton is in there and I figure I can get rid of it since I didn't buy it after the free trial) and missing MUI references. Of course, I don't know what most of these are.

Can I let CCleaner fix them all? Some? None?

As always, I'll follow suggestions from this Lounge!

Thanks,

Linda

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2011-06-04 at 15:21.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I did read it, but couldn't access your attachment to see how you'd set up your CCleaner. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Linda

P.S. Just now working my way through the link you provided in that thread. Lots of great information. Still nervous about the registry from what I've read (and heard over and over in this Lounge!), but surely I shouldn't leave all those issues CCleaner found! Any suggestions on this one?
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-06-04 at 15:47. Reason: Added PS with more information.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The issues it has found are likely to be inconsequential, unless you are experiencing problems on the machine.

Unused shared dll's, unused file extensions and the like could be considered "placeholders" in case you need them in the future.

Perhaps it's not "clean", but probably not causing a problem either.

For me the issue is the terminology used by registry cleaners. So, here's a rhetorical question - are the items highlighted inconsistencies or are they problems? I like to think of them as inconsistencies.

Many people here will not agree with me, some of them perhaps strongly. So let me try to clarify: CCleaner can be a very effective tool for cleaning up temporary files, leftovers and the such, but if you are apprehensive about applying to the registry, I would advise to trust your instinct.

If on the other-hand, you do use it for registry work, I would advise to take a full backup (ideally a system image) before tweaking.

A second thought on the subject: If you wanted to explore the capabilities of registry cleaners in a safe environment, you could do worse than install a temporary OS in a virtual machine. You could experiment with that in isolation to the native OS. If it goes belly up, you can always re-install the VM, no harm done.

Thanks
    I agree with Tinto Tech.
    Although they may be safe and benign to remove, I'd also want to know that I have a known good & easily restorable imaged backup on hand.
    There are also settings in CCleaner itself that will alow for one to backup those registry values that are to be deleted.

Thanks
    Linda,

I for one clean my registry regularly. I've used CCleaner for years and have never had it cause me a problem. That said, I ALWAYS have CCleaner backup the Registry before fixing problems {it will prompt you for this}. I also always have a couple generations of Image Backups handy Just-in-case!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    When you clean the registry with CCleaner, it offers to create a back up first before cleaning. I ALWAYS clean my registry of everything CCleaner finds and have NEVER had a problem on both my wife's and my laptops. As RG mentions, Up To Date Images are great insurance until you feel comfortable doing it. Many will say you will not see improvements after cleaning the registry, but my feeling is that any piece of leftover junk is a potential future problem. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this method has served me well so far!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As always, thank you all for the great input. It sounds as if there is no problem with leaving things as they are for a while as the computer is functioning fine. I think it would be good learning to try the clean up - but not until I take the time to do a fresh image backup (after reviewing how to do that, as I learned about it only recently ... in the Lounge, of course!) and the back up CCleaner recommends. Once I've given it a try and seen what happens, I'll post back here with my experience.

Again, thanks!

Linda

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    As always, thank you all for the great input. It sounds as if there is no problem with leaving things as they are for a while as the computer is functioning fine. I think it would be good learning to try the clean up - but not until I take the time to do a fresh image backup (after reviewing how to do that, as I learned about it only recently ... in the Lounge, of course!) and the back up CCleaner recommends. Once I've given it a try and seen what happens, I'll post back here with my experience.

Again, thanks!

Linda
    SO, Linda, It should'nt be long before your giving advice. That'll give us older members a rest.

Attachment 28255
    P.S. Only joking.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that's a goal I'll strive for!

Linda

Thanks
    Now Roderunner, I do not consider myself old, just more experienced! although sometimes I do feel old.

edit: spelled name correctly. Sorry, my daily senior moment must have kicked in. These seem to be happening more than once per day now!
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-06-08 at 04:30.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Now Roadrunner, I do not consider myself old, just more experienced! although sometimes I do feel old.
    Hi Ted, don't tell anyone, but my name is spelt wrong.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rode (or Road) Runner: Forgot to mention that I loved your dancing Laurel and Hardy guys!

... and the Robert Burns quotation I just noticed in re-reading these posts!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-06-13 at 15:14. Reason: Added bit about Burns.