New Lounger
    Thanks

╗ Reformat old Win7 installation disc with MBR

Hi. I have installed a new copy of Win7 on a new disc. I no longer want the original Win7 installation on the old disc so thought I could just reformat that disc however it's not so straight forward. When the OS is booting I get the choice of selecting which installation to choose (old or new) because, I assume, both discs have master boot records. I don't want a dual boot so in computer storage management i thought by making the old disc dynamic I could gazzump the boot procedure. This only resulted in not being able to boot at all. I got back to square 1 by re-enabling the boot sector of the old disc via Win repair CD and bootsect.exe command. The boot procedure now works ok again so no damage done.
    What do i do the reformat the old Win7 disc and have the boot procedure only look for the mbr on the new disc? Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Use an app such as EasyBCD to correct the MBR on the Win 7 installation you want to keep. You should be able to get rid of the incorrect Win 7 info. You should hen be able to format the old disk and use it as a data disk for examplee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. When you say "correct the MBR" can you be more specific?

Thanks
    The main screen for EasyBCD is shown:

EasyBCD.jpg

On the Edit Boot Menu screen you should see both your entries on the Boot Menu. Select the one that you wish to keep and set it to Default (I would rename the correct one to be SURE you choose the correct one. Make it something you will not be able to mistake.) You can then move the default to the top and delete the other. This should leave only one entry in your MBR.

You should then be able to boot to the good Win 7, type Disk Management in the search bos, select Create and format HD partitions and delete the old OS. This will then show the old HD as unallocated space which you can format as NTFS to use as a data drive or whatever. Be advised that you might need to use a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard free to do this depending on how you have your 2 HD's set up on your PC (master, slave)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ted. I had a go at fixing things last night before i saw your response and got into a horrible pickle. Partition Wizard free couldn't change my old win7 disc from dynamic to basic so I ended up cleaning & formatting the old win7 disc via dos diskpart commands and thought all was going well until I restarted and couldn't get win7 to boot (bootmgr is missing). Tried a few tricks such as win7 repair etc but no good. Bugger it I said - I'll reinstall Win7 on the new disc. The Win7 install told me that "setup was unable to create a new system partition...etc" on either the new disc or the old disc. Oh ffs! Tried a few dos tools but all do not recognise the new disc - presumably because it is a ssd drive on sata3 & they don't have the drivers (nb. the win7 install disc recognises it but would not let me install on it). Could have tried movong the disc to a sata2 channel but would mean pulling the computer out of it's enclosure etc. Got sick of wasting time on possible solutions so went back to a pre-mess disc image & restored win7 to the old disc. Thankfully that worked & from inside win7 I reformatted the new ssd disc which was shown as "raw" in storage management. So now I am back to where i was a few days ago before the new build was started. Might start a new thread to ask for help re getting win7 on the new disk and removing the old win7 installation.

Thanks
    As long as you are back to where you were, I would start over. Install Win 7 on the new disk, then use EasyBCD as indicated above to set Win 7 as default. Then delete the old disk partition and reformat. With separate HD's you may have to change the old HD to slave instead of master. I'm not sure if this is still appropriate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted