New Lounger
    Thanks

Create Win7 installation on new disc and remove old Win7 install

Scenario is I have a new sata3 SSD drive on which I want to install Win7. The PC has an existing build of Win7 on a different disc which i want to reformat & use for data. I tried this previously and ended up with a dual booting system. Trying to remove the old Win7 installation and format that disc created much trouble so now I'm starting again.

Can someone tell me please how to:
    1. Install Win7 on the new SSD disc (I'm assuming this will work ok as I've done it before),
    2. Have the system recognise only the new Win7 installation at boot & not the old Win7 installation so I don't have to select which OS to use,
    3. Reformat the old Win7 disc and remove any boot references that it might hold.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi fawlty99, If I was doing it, I would clone the disk in use to your new HDD, then change them over. I have never done it. The program of my choice is Acronis, but there are others, free & paid that can.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of thoughts ....
    1) Can a clone be made of the existing Win7 to the SSD? (With a clone - would be able to keep all existing programs, settings, all data, etc.).
    ...... If the SSD can take a clone, it would be bootable and existing system would run from the SSD.

2) Is it more desirable to have a totally new install of Win7 on the SSD and reinstall all programs, settings, data, etc.?

Some BIOS changes and/or drive cable switching may be necessary.

PS: Sorry, my response was being written while RR submitted his response.
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-06-06 at 18:46. Reason: added a PS:

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
    Scenario is I have a new sata3 SSD drive on which I want to install Win7. The PC has an existing build of Win7 on a different disc which i want to reformat & use for data. I tried this previously and ended up with a dual booting system. Trying to remove the old Win7 installation and format that disc created much trouble so now I'm starting again.

Thanks!
    fawlty,
    Hello... Take a read at this link http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media..When you install the new OS.. Windows will ask where you want to install it to, in your case the (SSD) I don't remember if it gives you a choice , but i think that "7" will end up the default OS.If for some reason it doesn't ..once up and running you can download a free program EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 Run it and give the SSD a name,then set it as your default, and set the other as "windows old", or what ever you want . Once set , you then can if you wish format the old "OS". (remove the old from the Que) I would keep it around for a while ...Just to see how it goes with the SSD and your programs. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)