New Lounger
    Thanks

Identifying the drive the be ejected.

When I eject a USB/eSATA drive on w7 from teh system tray icon it lists the make/model of ejectable drives, which is not much as I have multiple drives of the same type.

Is there a better way to eject a drive?

i

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like to name my drives (and flash drives etc.) to make it easy to identify them. So long as the names are unique, and correspond to some external feature of the drive so that I can identify it when it is not connected or inserted, then they are easy to keep straight whether connected or not. If they are outwardly identical, then label them as well as giving them a machine-readable name.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The name presented to me is not one I can change. It's the h/w name.

How are you able to see something else?

i

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWorthington View Post
    The name presented to me is not one I can change. It's the h/w name.

How are you able to see something else?

i
    1. Start - Computer - [Drive] - right-click, and from the dropdown menu select Rename. If you need Administrator privileges to change the name, right-click Rename and change the name, but it may depend on the type of drive. I usually give it a short name in ALL CAPS so it's easy to spot. Try it with a flash drive or two for starters.

2. A better way, especially with a hard drive of any sort, is to right-click on the drive and select Properties - General. There, waiting right at the top, is a field begging to be filled in and that is where you give it a name - they just don't tell you that that is what it is for. (This is far more convenient than #1, but you might as well know both.)