3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PST File size: Should I use Auto-Archive or separate each folder to pst?

My Outlook 2010 PST file is pretty large (around 8.5Gb). It performs fine and I have no issues (at present!).

I have a whole folder system that deals with my different projects (a folder per project, and sub-folders for topics). This is becoming almost like a complete filing system!

Please could someone advise which would be better.....

1. Should I use the Outlook AutoArchive and let Outlook automatically move older items to a separate archive.pst

OR

2. Should I export each project folder to a separate PST file, and connect to all of them by default under Data Management. This will have the effect of reducing each PST file size - but will it be affected if I move messages between these different folders?

I would hate to lose any data - it is becoming a bit of a critical information tool!
    Thanks for your suggestions!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See my post at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post804262. The same sentiment applies to you. It all depends on what you feel is the best method for you.

Either method should not lose data per se. It is up to you to make sure you have a good backup plan.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe

I see that either way will work..... I just wonder if one is more efficient at saving space than the other? Will I still be able to search for and find my e-mails under different PST's?

I have found quite a lot of options on the 'net, but there does not appear to be any recommended system - I am quite surprised! Outlook is used by so many people, and I am sure there must be a similar requirement that other people have!?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Since in either case you are creating additional PST files there is not really any difference in efficiency. The only way to really save space in Outlook data files is to remove attachments. There are tools available to allow you to store attachments in the file system and place a link to the saved attachment in the original email. There is a free tool created by some former members here - see http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post582668.

To see search options and settings just click on the magnifying glass in the search box but do not enter any search terms.

The reason there is not "standard method" is that Outlook is used by so many people. It is flexible enough to support several methods. There are some people who want to remove the email from Outlook completely and store it in the file system. The other thing to remember is that Outlook is primarily designed to be a business tool that people can use at home. When used in a business environment there can be regulatory and legal requirements for email retention. Where Exchange server is used the latest versions of Exchange server are meant to be the vehicle for archival. Many businesses do not allow the use of PST files any more.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would always plumb for smaller PST files and more of them. Then recovery is less painful.

cheers, Paul