New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to read in Windows Mail, OK in Thunderbird

I have two email addresses on different mail servers but the same ISP. Windows Mail now refuses to read messages from one of them. It hangs for about three minutes and then reports that the server has not responded for 60 seconds. I can preview the messages on Mailwasher, and read them successfully on Thunderbird. I changed the password, and Windows Mail then asked for username and password, but after entering them it then went into wait mode again.

There is a variation on this behaviour where as soon as I open Windows Mail, or click on Send/Receive, it immediately flags an error without apparently attempting to read anything, but then displays on the bottom right corner eg "7 new message(s)", probably the number it read successfully the last time it was able to. When it reaches this stage I have to reboot before it will attempt to read again.

I can't work out where the error is. It is unlikely to be the server, as Thunderbird and Mailwasher both read the emails without any problems. And Windows Mail works fine with the other address and I use the same settings. Is it going to be a case of uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Mail? I use Vista Home Premium.

Thanks
    Hi chrisjager, welcome to the lounge.
    Have you looked at all tabs in accounts properties to see if there are errors ?

Attachment 28262
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    An details of the error?

Have you tried turning loggin on?

Have you checked all the Windows Mail settings to make sure they match the Thunderbird settings?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Turn it off and turn it on again" is a regular way to solve problems. "Turn it off and turn it on again 3 times" is a new one to me, but that is what fixed it. I checked all the settings I could think of, and tried anything that came into my head, but after the 3rd restart the problem had gone away for no reason I could see.

I am a retired software developer and Windows Mail really is poor quality. However it gave me the opportunity to use the Lounge for the first time.
    Last edited by chrisjager; 2011-06-09 at 05:58.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Windows Mail was pretty much just putting a different face on Outlook Express. You could upgrade to Windows Live Mail which is part of Windows Live Essentials 2011. WLM is a new product and is a decent mail client.

Joe