New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Dual Windows 7 drives

Sometime ago, before Win 7, I had XP on one drive and Vista on another. When I got Win 7, I decided to put all my pictures on Win7 drive F: and use Win7 drive C: for all my usual work. transfering all pictures to F:. However during the process F: became the default drive. When I boot, a black screen comes up with a choice of two drives, both labeled Windows 7. The first one is the F: and if I don't change this option it goes to that drive.
    How can I change this default drive to the C;drive?

Thanks
    Download and install Easy BCD 2.0 and edit your BCD store to eliminate the invalid option.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Dual Windows 7 drives

Thanks very much. I do not know BCD but will find out

Thanks
    Here is a screen shot of EasyBCD:

EasyBCD.jpg

Take a look at EasyBCD documentation here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it and easy is grossly understating the ease of using this tool. Thanks very much

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like using tools like this EasyBCD... it simple makes like easier. :0
    Now downloading to try myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did something similar to this as well (some time ago now) except I left XP on drive C: then installed Win7 beside it (but on a different physical drive) which took drive F:

When I decided that "Win7 is the way to go" I had to use EasyBCD to mess around with my MBR on the F: drive and prevent the dual boot option but this left me with F: as my system drive rather than C:

This is not usually a problem apart from badly-behaved software installers that specify C: rather than looking up the drive from the '%' system variable but I would like to go back to C: as my system drive if it was possible to do so. So, my question is, if I used some kind of 'image backup' tool such as Paragon or Acronis True Image, would I be able to take an image, reformat the current F: drive, then restore the image as C: (which now only gets assigned when I plug in a USB key) or am I stuck with F: until a major melt-down forces a reinstall from scratch?

Thanks

Change system drive letter

Yes, you can change the system drive letter, but it is not a task lightly undertaken. It is complex, requires lots of registry editing, and everything must be done in the correct order or you will have a PC that will not boot, from which you cannot recover except by retoring a drive image of the existing system.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows