New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleted Messages (2000/SR1)

I've a user who is insisting Outlook has deleted messages automatically from her inbox. I've checked auto archive which is set to run every four months and isn't responsible as the messages are current, delegation access is not set up & all the other folders in her mailbox do not contain the data. Can anyone else suggest anything to check before I broach the "Well I think you have actually deleted them yourself " suggestion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleted Messages (2000/SR1)

I've had users claim this too. It's always turned out to be 1) a filter or customized view; 2) a rule that does something with them; 3) a result of sync with a PDA.

In one case a user had several profiles set up and was "confused" about how that worked. In a couple of cases mail was either dragged or moved by a rule to the outlook today folder. The home page for that folder doesn't display contents of that folder. We had to turn off the home page in order to see the items in there.

It's possible the company has some server-side utility that is doing something, but that's probably a low percentage call.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions , they are now rapidly running out of reasons why their Outlook ate there inbox !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is this Outlook corporate?
    If so, it could be that the destination for mail delivery has been altered.
    Try Start | Settings | Control Panel | then double click on Mail
    Click on the Delivery tab and ensure that the Deliver new mail to the following location field is set to point at the user's mailbox.
    HTH
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Silverback, i've seen this happen on numerous new installations of Outlook here. The user had been jumping around lots of different machines and it looks like this set her mail to deliver to her personal folder & then switched it back again - heaven knows how it did this, but we've found some of the missing messages. Many thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charity
    Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been mighty busy on other things.
    I suspect (never been able to nail it down as a definite) that this happens when a new profile is created on a machine which has an active .pst file in existence. I'm sure (like I said, never provied it) that sometimes Outlook assumes the existence of a .pst file means that it's going to be used in Internet Only mode and so sets delivery to the .pst file. Certainly, in our establishment, which is exclusively Outlook Corporate using Exchange Server, I've had numerous occasions to 'fix' profile which have delivery set to the personal folder.
    Glad to hear some mail was recovered.
    Silverback