Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Notification Area Icons

Anybody know how to get rid of application icons that are let in area after program is uninstalled.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Anybody know how to get rid of application icons that are let in area after program is uninstalled.
    You could try 'CCleaner' and / or use 'Revo Uninstaller' to uninstall which clear up all left overs when set to advanced mode. Both can be got from Cnet .com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You could try 'CCleaner' and / or use 'Revo Uninstaller' to uninstall which clear up all left overs when set to advanced mode. Both can be got from Cnet .com.
    Well I tried Revo just for kicks because I normally use something called Your Uninstaller from Ursosoft that has been right fro me last 3 or 4 years. Neither App got rid of them, I was hoping there was something in Window 7 that I did not know about that would do the job.

Thanks
    Well I tried Revo just for kicks because I normally use something called Your Uninstaller from Ursosoft that has been right fro me last 3 or 4 years. Neither App got rid of them, I was hoping there was something in Window 7 that I did not know about that would do the job.
    Using CCleaner is the easiest way to do it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    See Notification area icons reset at the Windows Seven Forums.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See Notification area icons reset at the Windows Seven Forums.

Joe
    I'm not so good trying to add/work with stuff/batch files etc as Clint Eastwood once said "a mans got to know his limitations" I'm just sayin'....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Just download the file and follow the directions at the web site.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "a mans got to know his limitations" I'm just sayin'....
    "Bulb Man",
    Hello... here is an even easier way....Go to WebSite..http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cl...ws-7-vista-xp/ Then you download the .vbs file... right click on it>extract>Run(or Open) It will reset all ...then you can go through your active Icon list and set them up the way you want Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-06-08 at 16:24.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2011-06-08)

Thanks
    I absolutely agree with "The Bulb Man" term kinda describes me to a tee. Ok riddle me this, when you do things like this or others with different problems. Do you advise doing a system restore point.

Well I did the download and did a restore point just in case, but the vbs file was like waving a magic wand and all the excess trash is gone. Is this something that can be repeated in future.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2011-06-08 at 16:55.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok riddle me this, when you do things like this or others with different problems. Do you advise doing a system restore point.

Well I did the download and did a restore point just in case, but the vbs file was like waving a magic wand and all the excess trash is gone. Is this something that can be repeated in future.
    Bulb Man,

Hello... No , i and many others do not use "System Restore". A much better alternative is to "Image" your OS ...No matter what happens to you system ...you can be back to where you were in about 10 minutes. There is a free one Macrium Reflect If you need help with this , do a search on this forum "Macrium" or post your question . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred
    I have never used OS image program and actually just keep my data backed up cause if something goes seriously wrong I then go to somebody that has more knowledge about the fix than I do. Only happened twice, once from a virus attack and once from a McAfee lockup.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred
    I have never used OS image program and actually just keep my data backed up cause if something goes seriously wrong I then go to somebody that has more knowledge about the fix than I do.
    Bulb Man,
    Hello... OK... It's time that you learn. It's not a "Steep learning Curve" and there is plenty of help available on this forum. Macrium Reflect has an intuitive user interface and a good help screen. One other thing... "Imaging" does your entire OS ....everything... and with Macrium it will compress it (down size) to a manageable size . EX: My 25GB OS down to about 9GB.. You can choose the compression... So no matter what you do to your OS....(even un- boot-able) you still can recover in about 10 minutes... You will no longer need to bring your PC to anyone to "Fix" Many here use these 3rd party Imaging software's over the "Clunky" MS one that comes with your PC. You then can "Back Up" your system on a weekly basis ...or what ever you want. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I agree with Fred. I use Acronis True Image Home, both 2010 (wife's PC) and 2011 (my PC) versions. I create a new Image whenever I make a change to my system, (add or delete apps, updates, etc.) This allow me to keep Up to Date Images that allows restoration in less than 10 minutes. The UI is easy. If you type either Macrium Reflect instructions or Acronis instructions in the Lounge search box you will find 2 threads with step by step instructions (unfortunately both were written in the old Lounge so the attachments are all grouped at the bottom rather than interspersed through out as originally posted) for both of these fine 3rd party imaging apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Bulb Man,
    Hello... OK... It's time that you learn. It's not a "Steep learning Curve" and there is plenty of help available on this forum. Macrium Reflect has an intuitive user interface and a good help screen. One other thing... "Imaging" does your entire OS ....everything... and with Macrium it will compress it (down size) to a manageable size . EX: My 25GB OS down to about 9GB.. You can choose the compression... So no matter what you do to your OS....(even un- boot-able) you still can recover in about 10 minutes... You will no longer need to bring your PC to anyone to "Fix" Many here use these 3rd party Imaging software's over the "Clunky" MS one that comes with your PC. You then can "Back Up" your system on a weekly basis ...or what ever you want. Regards Fred
    Ok here's the problem, you say it has an intuitive user interface. What may be intuitive to you and others may be Greek to me. I'm a dog trainer close to 50 years, 90 different breeds trained and it's what I do. People have said training dogs takes patience uh maybe it's just something I do. but when I read some of these so called simple application instructions my eyes start to blur and headaches start.

I did download the Macrium Reflect though and will install and then get out the Aleve pain pills to help possible headaches. One thing I do know is that my PC can't beat me up.

As a start I'm assuming a backup to my external drive will work, If you have drive space I always wondered why compression is necessary.

Keep this thought, you're dealing with a high school dropout that is 6 days older than dust, so you got lack of education on start of program and possible dementia on the back end. Do appreciate the help though.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2011-06-09 at 09:36.

Thanks
    I also back up to my ext USB HD. Compression allows you to create and store many more images. You don't have to compress, but there is no need not to. I leave Acronis on the default amount although as Fred states you can choose compression ratio. Some people actually Image to a separate partition on their HD, but my thought is that if the HD fails, there goes the Image as well, so I choose an Ext HD.

Link to Macrium Reflect Step by Step Instructions.

Link to Acronis TIH 2011 Step by Step Instructions.

Link to Acronis TIH 2010 Step Bt Step Instructions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast