iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Internet Explorer loses market share rapidly

WOODY'S WINDOWS

By Woody Leonhard

In spite of Microsoft's built-in advantage — outside of Europe, every new copy of Windows comes with Internet Explorer set as the default browser — IE's market share continues to fall.

I'll show you what's happening and offer some explanations. I'll also leave you with a few recommendations that may surprise you.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/internet-explorer-loses-market-share-rapidly/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-06-08 at 17:01.

Thanks
    Chrome does have a significant edge over Firefox and Internet Explorer in the process isolation area (sandboxing). And as good as the current Chrome sandboxing is, with the upcoming addition of Chrome Native Client (NaCl) there will be even better sandboxing. IE and Firefox will be hard-pressed to match this development. Softpedia reports on Chrome Native Client here .

Also, if I am correct, in Standard User or Limited User Accounts, Chrome does not install with Administrator Privileges, or at least with a lot fewer than Firefox or IE.

And I am still leery of Active-X, even though IE9 does a better job of limiting the potential damages than its predecessors. It doesn't help that the popular media have drilled the slogan into our brains for years --"Active-X is insecure". Well, headlines should read that Flash and JavaScript are responsible for the vast majority of PC infections not caused by willful user actions these days. That would put the brakes on all the browsers, not just the One from Redmond.

Which is not to say that Chrome is the best thing since sliced bread. The browser controls, especially the Print Menu, are buried or absent altogether from the Chrome Interface. There aren't as many Themes and add-ons as Firefox, but Firefox 4 has killed off a lot of add-ons so that is also a narrowing field. And updating Chrome is easy -- it happens automatically in the background for most account types. Chrome is also faster to launch, shut down and make page transitions than Firefox or IE.

But what makes IE lose market share is not only an anti-Microsoft trend in user thinking. There are daily reports of exploits which use IE to get malicious code onto users' computers. Firefox should be getting its share of these reports, but the popular press does not seem to cover Firefox as much. And then there's Chrome's legendary (and largely false) reputation as being unhackable. So IE takes the publicity hits and Chrome takes up the slack.

Most people who think Firefox is slow probably have loaded it up with too many Extensions. This can slow down any browser. I like the IE9 feature which shows an information bar at the bottom when add-ons are slowing IE9 performance significantly. Then you can click on the message bar, look and see which toolbars (usually Google or Yahoo) and which add-ons are causing the biggest slowdowns in several categories.

But to answer the question as to why IE is losing market share, one does have to consider what role media publicity has been having. It's really open season against all things Microsoft, and Apple too often gets a free pass. Unless the news report is from Comcast, NBC or their affiliates, of course (tie-in with MSN, which is Microsoft itself).
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-06-09 at 17:37.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Would have appreciated a comment re: Firefox 5 Beta ... and it's continual nagging to install. I don't because Roboform is not supported so far. Is there anyway to stop the constant nagging?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RayFB View Post
    Would have appreciated a comment re: Firefox 5 Beta ... and it's continual nagging to install. I don't because Roboform is not supported so far. Is there anyway to stop the constant nagging?
    I have Firefox 4.0.1 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop. Absolutely no nags to upgrade whatsoever. Are you referring to having already installed the FF-5 Beta, and getting further upgrade nags?
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE's Loss of Market Share Is No Surprise

How litttle is printed about Windows 7 and IE's egregious behaviours is no suprise either. I don't think the media is oblivious to these issues, but besides the "ABM" effect there is simply user fatigue and the futility of complaining (suggestions are simply ignored). Today I un-installed IE9 for the third and final time when it refused to allow me to download a BIOS update for another computer. I found no no easy way to tell IE that I knew what I was doing, but simply got the "1984" treatment without any options. I could have searched for a solution, but I'm convinced that I want a Personal Computer, not a Microsoft Computer. Have you tried Ubuntu lately? Installs easier, works better than Windows, and has solutions to questions/problems from experts that know what they are talking about instead of searching thru dozens of web pages of speculation created by other frustrated users. I've had enough. Good Bye Windows!

Lounger
    Thanks

What about other browsers?

There are many other browsers out there, in smartphones. Let's see those statistics. In the overall arena, it might be the case that internet browsing from smartphones is a much bigger market, which would certainly cast a shadow over these published results. I suspect that IE (and Microsoft) has actually long ago lost the race in the web marketplace.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1916 View Post
    How litttle is printed about Windows 7 and IE's egregious behaviours is no suprise either. I don't think the media is oblivious to these issues, but besides the "ABM" effect there is simply user fatigue and the futility of complaining (suggestions are simply ignored). Today I un-installed IE9 for the third and final time when it refused to allow me to download a BIOS update for another computer. I found no no easy way to tell IE that I knew what I was doing, but simply got the "1984" treatment without any options. I could have searched for a solution, but I'm convinced that I want a Personal Computer, not a Microsoft Computer. Have you tried Ubuntu lately? Installs easier, works better than Windows, and has solutions to questions/problems from experts that know what they are talking about instead of searching thru dozens of web pages of speculation created by other frustrated users. I've had enough. Good Bye Windows!
    Have you ever tried to troubleshoot Linux? The research and advice process dwarfs anything Windows has ever put me through. Not to mention the derision suffered at most Linux user forums when they keep telling you that the answers are all in the "manual" -- whatever that is!

When Linux works, it is a godsend. But on computers where it does not work right off the Live/Install disk, FUGETTABOUTIT!!
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kashken View Post
    There are many other browsers out there, in smartphones. Let's see those statistics. In the overall arena, it might be the case that internet browsing from smartphones is a much bigger market, which would certainly cast a shadow over these published results. I suspect that IE (and Microsoft) has actually long ago lost the race in the web marketplace.
    Apples and oranges. This article is talking about PCs, not Mobile Devices.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    @RayFB @Bob -

I haven't seen any nags either. I wonder what's going on???
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    @kashken -

Smartphone browsers are still less than 0.1% of the total number. Some day they'll be very important. Right now, they're hard to measure.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I still don't understand why, if you are using a different browser other than IE exclusively, why, when using CCleaner to get rid of temporary files, IE has tons deleted while Mozilla has none.
    p.s...unable to send a screen shot.
    Last edited by trescott; 2011-06-14 at 20:41. Reason: can't send a screen shot with post.