Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

defrag 3rd party tool or not

Heard that windows 7 has different defrag program and use of. I have used a 3rd party defrag program, any opinions/advice.

Thanks
    I use Auslogics Defragger. Very easy and quick.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I gather from answer that Windows 7 defrag leaves something to be desired. When you Google this stuff as I sometimes do, you get some weird answers. I have been using a freebie called Smart Defrag but have not installed it yet. I did download your Auslogic app and will give it a try as I like to compare and upgrade/tweak where possible, also like uncomplicated software if possible..
    I did use UWT yesterday to enlarge my task-bar icons and it worked great so I tried the shortcut arrow remover again and it removed total icon and just left text again, so it does work on some things not on others.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried many and like MyDefrag http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html
    I use the System disk monthly setting and only do it once a month.

Thanks
    Well I downloaded it and defragged an external drive and looks simple enough, it was 63% fragged and took 1 hour 6 minutes which was not a problem. I believe the external drive probably took longer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally I do not see the point in defragging constantly for most home user situations. Large NTFS partitions / drives these days do not exhibit the same performance degradation of yester-year Windows 98 OS and FAT32.

Sure a tweaker will always want the best possible performance and will go to the extra effort to get every ounce of worth from their system but it is in their nature.

For most mere mortals be happy with Windows 7's default defrag schedule. If you want to see a notable performance increase then move to an SSD based system.

Thanks
    First, if one is using Windows 7, unless the Windows Defragger Scheduled Task has been disabled by the user, it is defragging the PC's drive(s) weekly.

Second, regardless of the file system in use on a hard drive, seek time is still seek time, head movement is still head movement, and files in multiple fragments require more of both. Files that are more contiguous require less of each. Less of each translates directly into decreased delay in retrieving files. It's not rocket science.

Keeping a hard drive defragmented is less intense on the drive head mechanism than allowing a drive to become extremely fragmented before running a defragmenter; the overall use of the drive head mechanism is decreased. Windows 7's default sheduled defrag task is a prime example, I would suppose, of this simple reasoning. (Although I'm not sure that "simple" and "reasoning" and "Windows" should all be placed in the same sentence).

I use MyDefrag 4.3.1, and I have it setup in Task Scheduler in place of the Windows defragger. There are separate scripts for system drives and data drives, and I make use of those scripts in Task Scheduler. For system drives, MyDefrag leaves a number of gaps of free space for temporary files to be written in close proximity to the processes that create them, and the gaps are large enough that the temporary files can be written contiguously, another way of decreasing head movement. It all takes place in the background without any further attention from me.

Regularly using a third party defragger via task scheduler in this way will not necessarily make a noticable improvement in system performance, but it will prevent a noticable degradation in performance.

Just my 2¢.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-07-17 at 11:57.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    With today's large disks the builtin Windows defragger is sufficient. It is free and runs automatically.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    With today's large disks the builtin Windows defragger is sufficient. It is free and runs automatically.

Joe
    I have three 1TB drives on this machine (one connected via eSATA). MyDefrag is free and runs automatically, too. Plus it's very customizable via scripts, to suit the use of the drive(s). I have, for example, a 100GB partition of music files only. A music drive full of files that don't change and a system drive full of files that do change do not need a one-size-fits-all defrag scheme, which is what the built-in Windows defragger uses.

MyDefrag uses the Windows defrag API to accomplish its tasks, it just uses more finely-tuned, realistic algorithms to handle the placement of files of different types. Todays large drives are still 3.5 inch disks, and file fragments in the middle of the disk are still file fragments in the middle of the disk, not a bit different than 20 years ago. Getting them more contiguous and nearer the front of the disk as necessary still means less head movement and less seek time, which translates directly to higher efficiency and less overall use and wear on the drive head mechanism.

A free utility, HD Tune, will readily and graphically show the difference in performance between a heavily fragmented disk and that same disk after running a good defragger. It can also show that there is a difference in defraggers. No need to take my word for it. Run your own tests and draw your own conclusions; or not.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Any drive full of files that do no change has no need for a defragmenter. It makes no difference whether they are music files or system files.

Talk of defragmenters is about as bad as talk about A/V programs or disk imaging programs. To me, with todays hardware they have become boring and superflous. What comes with Windows is good enough for the vast majority of users. I don't care to spend my time any more trying to squeeze the last bit of efficiency out of all these tools. The only time I worry about figuring something out is if a system starts behaving unusually.

Joe

Thanks
    Actually the only time I defrag my HD is just before I make a new Image. I spend a few minutes cleaning the OS (all temp files, log files and such) run my malware scans, then defrag before I image. This allows my Image to be as pristine as possible. Otherwise I do not bother.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Any drive full of files that do no change has no need for a defragmenter. It makes no difference whether they are music files or system files.
    Windows Defrag Task Schedule is going to run its defrag routine on them every week, anyway, if left to its own devices. And I may rip three or four new albums to that drive, in which case there will be some new fragmentation, which doesn't need to be treated like it's on a system drive. But I don't have to spend any of my time doing anything about it; it will be taken care of automatically without any intervention on my part.

Talk of defragmenters is about as bad as talk about A/V programs or disk imaging programs. To me, with todays hardware they have become boring and superflous. What comes with Windows is good enough for the vast majority of users. I don't care to spend my time any more trying to squeeze the last bit of efficiency out of all these tools. The only time I worry about figuring something out is if a system starts behaving unusually.
    Joe
    With all due respect, this isn't "Joe's Windows Lounge". There may well be other members who want to be proactive in their system maintenance and keep it working as efficiently and trouble-free as the day it came out of the box, rather than waiting for unusual behavior to start taking up time they would rather spend doing something productive or entertaining.

What I have described in this thread is a set-it-and-forget-it procedure. I don't re-do it every day. I'm not spending any more time on it, other than to pass along to those who might be interested that there are options that are not inside the Microsoft box.

You can spend your time doing whatever you like, by all means, but I don't think that puts you in a position to dictate to everyone else to spend their time doing whatever you like, or not spend their time doing whatever you don't like.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Actually the only time I defrag my HD is just before I make a new Image. I spend a few minutes cleaning the OS (all temp files, log files and such) run my malware scans, then defrag before I image. This allows my Image to be as pristine as possible. Otherwise I do not bother.
    My disk cleanup, defragging and malware scans are now all automatic. Whenever I want to make a fresh image, I just make a fresh image.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Funny you should mention this, yesterday I decided to defrag and I used Auslogics (Windows Defrag shut off) C: drive was done 10 minutes , I defragged C: 6/8/11 I guess I'm not a fanatic at it. Anyway I then decided to defrag external drive where my Macrium Imaging is stored (never done before) this took 3 hrs. In future I think defrag before imaging might be good way to go. My XP-PC used 6 yrs I did the once a month defrag and it is still operating with no problems I think this defrag with 3rd party or Windows is just whatever works best for individual. No more-No less.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    With all due respect, this isn't "Joe's Windows Lounge". There may well be other members who want to be proactive in their system maintenance and keep it working as efficiently and trouble-free as the day it came out of the box, rather than waiting for unusual behavior to start taking up time they would rather spend doing something productive or entertaining.

What I have described in this thread is a set-it-and-forget-it procedure. I don't re-do it every day. I'm not spending any more time on it, other than to pass along to those who might be interested that there are options that are not inside the Microsoft box.

You can spend your time doing whatever you like, by all means, but I don't think that puts you in a position to dictate to everyone else to spend their time doing whatever you like, or not spend their time doing whatever you don't like.
    Let's ratchet it down a bit. I'm not trying to dictate anything to anyone. I'm expressing my opinion as are you. You and any other Lounge users are free to do as you see fit in maintaining your PC(s).

Since it appears that I offended you I apologize.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast