Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Using Windows Backup in Win7 Home Premium

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP desktop and would like to use the Windows Backup feature. However, when I try to set up "Backup" a message says that it is not available on my computer. I have searched for a way to activate the backup feature, but have not found it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Does this happen immediately on clicking "Set up backup" or later in the process?

Is your system up-to-date with service pack 1 and patches?

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

calreed (2011-06-09)

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    It happens immediately on clicking "Set up backup". I have installed service pack 1 and my update system is on automatic.

6. Administrator
    Thanks
    What is your backup location?

Joe

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    A 1TB drive on my home network. However, I never get to a point in setting up the backup where it asks for the backup location.

8. Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Home Premium will not backup to a network location. See Windows Products Comparison. Windows Backup will check for a device on the PC capable of holding the backup. If not, you'll get the error.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

calreed (2011-06-10)

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I suppose that I have to buy a new usb external drive to use as a backup if I want to use the Win7 backup system?

11. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by calreed View Post
    Thanks, Joe. I suppose that I have to buy a new usb external drive to use as a backup if I want to use the Win7 backup system?
    Better yet, get a better imaging program to do your back ups.
    There are many imaging programs and some GOOD ones are even free.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

12. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Dave. What imaging programs do you suggest?

13. Administrator
    Thanks
    You can create a system image with Windows Backup. It works and you don't have to have yet another third party program. If you want a third party program though feel free to get one. I'm sure others will jump in with recommendations.

Joe

Thanks
    Ok, the 2 most talked about are Acronis True Image Home and Macrium Reflect. Check these 2 fine apps in the Security and Backups forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

calreed (2011-06-10)

Thanks

Cool

With 30 years of experience, both good and bad, to call on, I came to one conclusion, that the Backup and restore program should not be on your C: drive or a part of your OS.
    To do a C: drive restore when your C: drive has gone up in smoke, you need to be able to boot up your PC and access your backup Image File on some other media, other than your C: drive. And then, restore your backup image file to a brand new, never before formatted, hard drive.

Having a program like Ghost or Acronis True Image on a flash drive or CD, answers all of the above mentioned parameters.
    Personally I use Ghost 11.5, the DOS version, on CD, Flash Drive and even on a SD Flash Memory Card (bootable, of course).

At least once a week, I boot up with my Ghost boot disk, do my backup to a second HD, verify the backup and then do an immediate Restore.
    That re-writes my C: drive, eliminating spaces between files and any fragmentation.
    "Works for me".

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

calreed (2011-06-12)

18. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly, Windows Backup creates an image that is not compressed so it takes up a lot of space. If your Windows installation is, say, 34GB including all your installed programs then the backup image will require 34GB of storage space to hold it. Some (many?) third-party programs offer compression. For example, the free DriveImage XML offers two levels of compression and works pretty fast. http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm Also, Easeus Todo Backup Free and Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011(Advanced) Free are available from Download.cnet.com . Worth a look!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

calreed (2011-06-16)

20. New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive imaging

Many correspondents recommend Acronis True Image as a good solution to backing up a hard drive by making an image. However. I have never seen anyone recommend the free Acronis True Image programs from Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard for Seagate drives) and from Western Digital (http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...l.asp?swid=119 for WD drives). I have used both of these programs and found that they work fine.
    Hope this helps

21. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several years ago we had a couple of Maxtor hard drives that came with Acronis. It worked great. The only limitation was that it only worked on Maxtor brand! The same is probably true for other brands. So, if you have a copy of Acronis for the brand of hard drive you're using, go for it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast