Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE changes extension of download without asking

After a couple of users had unexpected trouble with files they were downloading from my site, I've stumbled onto the fact that, unlike FireFox, Internet Explorer will "correct" the extension of a downloaded file if it decides the extension is "wrong." Is there any way to disable this easily?

Although I send major software updates in the more conventional way, I also provide simple updates to report formats via a zip file. However, to make the process as simple as possible for non-technical users, I change the file extension to eliminate any implied need to open the file and so the instructions to the user are simply "download the file to this folder, then press this button." On newer versions of IE, the download process is changing the extension back to zip without prompting the user, turning what should have been a simple process into a thoroughly confusing one. Worse, if you attempt to change the extension back before saving the file, IE adds ".zip" to that, resulting in a double-extension.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    See the "mime handling changes" section at Introducing IE 8.0 Security.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was not an email in this case

Although I was planning to try sending the update via email in the future, in this case the file was a simple download from my web site with instructions to save but not open it. However, the MIME-handling section did not seem to cover zip files. Thanks anyway...

Thanks
    Here's a case similar to your problem.This site might be able answer your question @ hand?;http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...5-8b864e87da54
    I hope the above site gives you some insight.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2011-06-13)