New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer properties causes general protection fault

I have windows 7 64 bit. I can print to several HP and other printers. But when I try to install and print to HP Photosmart all in one c309a, it will not print. Everything says it installed correctly, but does not print the test page. Then when clicking on printer properties, I always get the same error message.

"C:\windows\explorer.exe
    Function address ??????????? caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005)
    Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed."

I have uninstalled and installed in many times without luck although it worked when I first got it. The other computers can use the printer without any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwbltd01 View Post
    I have windows 7 64 bit. I can print to several HP and other printers. But when I try to install and print to HP Photosmart all in one c309a, it will not print.

Any ideas?
    rwbltd,
    Hello... If you look in "Control Panel" view> category>View devices and printers> Then Right click on the printer... You will see your settings ...check through them all, and make sure that you have the "default" and the rest set for your "HP" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I don't follow you. When I right click on the printer, I get a menu that lists:See What's Printing, set as default printer, printing preferences, printer properties, create shortcut, troubleshoot, remove device and properties,

Left clicking on printer properties or printing preferences brings up the protection fault window.

What am I doing wrong that I don't see "settings" when I right click on the printer?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I don't follow you. When I right click on the printer, I get a menu that lists:See What's Printing, set as default printer, printing preferences, printer properties, create shortcut, troubleshoot, remove device and properties,
    rwbltd,
    Hello... You just "Hover" your mouse over each category, (default etc.) and the "Drop Down" (To the Right) will appear, on my PC will allow you to make or change your settings Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    rwbltd,
    Hello... You just "Hover" your mouse over each category, (default etc.) and the "Drop Down" (To the Right) will appear, on my PC will allow you to make or change your settings Regards Fred
    Nothing happens when I "hover", sorry to be so dense but I don't see what you are suggesting.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing happens when I "hover"
    rwbltd,
    OK... on my OS if i pause the mouse cursor over any of those ...i don't even get e chance to "click" on them. If you left click on any of them what happens..? Additionally you can try to "Double click" on the printer "Icon" or select "Open"... (after doing the "right click thing") In either case you should then be able to check you settings After clicking the Icon , or Open... you will get to a screen that says "Customize your Printer" Post back with your results... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem

Did you ever get yours fixed?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did. I'm trying to remember exactly how. This is what I think solved it:

I went into Printer Properties. You can do it for any printer that is installed. Once I was there, I clicked on ports. I scrolled through the list of printers and found that there was a printer listed on a port that was not installed on my computer. I deleted the port. I don't know if it was that part that did it alone or not. I may have uninstalled other printers first. I may have also deleted the port for the printer that would not install correctly. After I deleted that port for the mystery printer, everything installed and worked correctly.

Good luck, because luck is how I found it. No one else seemed to have a clue.