Lounger
    Thanks

TI 2011 with Plus Pack

I have a problem with backing up to dissimilar hardware. I have an old computer whose HDD crashed long ago, so I thought I would try to restore an old image I had made from a different computer. I installed a HDD, went to the motherboards vendors site[gigabyte 7VM40 0M-R ] and downloaded all the drivers I could find for the motherboard. Unzipped them placed them on a usb. Then I started TI 2011 with Plus Pack installed from the CD Drive, did everything it asked including pointing it to the USB stick to find the drivers. It runs through the restore, then shows that it is using Plus Pack[to get the drivers I presume]. Then says restore was successful, boots to the windows XP loading screen, but that's as far as it goes. Did I miss something, or not put the right drivers on the USB, put to many drivers on the USB. When I extracted the drivers, 4 different lots, I put everything on the USB hoping acronis would find the ones it needed,maybe that was my mistake. If anyone has any thoughts I would be most gratefull It's not that I need the computer to work, but I thought I would try my hand at it so I know how to do it if the situation ever occures
    Cheers John.

Thanks
    I'm not sure first if putting that OS on a different PC is legal, unless you were to delete it from the PC you made it on. Secondly, the Image may have been from an OEM version of Windows which only works on the PC it was originally loaded on. Only retail versions of Windows can be moved from one PC to another. I'm also not sure if Acronis TI 2011 is compatible with XP. If the Image were made with a different version of TI, you would need the Rescue Media or installation media from that version to work with that Image. For example I have both TI 2010 and TI 2011. I have to use the 2010 Rescue Media when working with images created with 2010 and similar with 2011. (I do have the plus pack for both)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Ted. I'm not sure if it was an OEM version of windows, I did once own the PC I got the image from, had it as a backup but PC is long since died. Thought I would try my hand at a restore to a different PC, looks like that's not going to happen. Once again thank's for the help Ted.
    Cheers John.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your experience mimicks one I had with the Plus Pack. Having it is no guarantee that you will be able to restore to different hardware. Been there with similar results and also had a different situation without the Plus Pack where the restore to different hardware worked flawlessly.

IMHO the Plus Pack is nothing but a sad attempt to get a few more bucks from you.