New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting rid of Sony Vaio software

I recently put Windows 7 on my pc and pleasantly surprised I was with it. It seemed fairly simple and clean. My wife has a Vaio laptop which is cluttered with Vaio software. The basic o/s seems to be a mixture of Sony and Windows. I feel it is a compl;icated mess.

Does anybody know can I do a reinstall and bypass the sony software and only have windows 7 as the operating system?

Cheers,
    Oliver

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    OEMs such as Sony always provide a method to return to "as it left the factory status". Unfortunately, that will restore all the junk that Sony provides too. Sometimes the OEM will provide DVDs to reinstall the OS only (usually only if you pay extra these days) or a method to create DVDs yourself to install the OS.

You can use a tool such as the free for personal use PC decrapifier or the free version of Revo Uninstaller. Both tools let you decide what to uninstall.

NOTE: Before using either tool I recommend you make an image backup of the PC.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Olleym (2011-06-10)

Thanks
    If you are ambitious enough and can afford it, I would suggest purchasing a genuine windows 7 operating system disk of whatever flavor
    you want and do a format & clean install with it. I have chosen to do this on several occasions above OEM disks. I hate OEM disks.
    All you would need to do is install drivers specific to you Sony Vaio laptop which you would have downloaded prior to beginning.

Otherwise, JoeP's suggestion would work out just as well on the cheap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Olleym (2011-06-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I remember there being discs coming with the machine and I even have a vague recollection of putting on the software. I will look for the discs and see what there is and have a good think and a bit of exploration. It is not worth my life to take too many risks!:-)

Thanks
    My Vaio software upgrading my PC from Vista came on 2 separate disks. The first contained Win 7 (MS version) the second disk contained the Sony branded software. I'm wondering if yours is similar. If so, load the MS Win 7 software and forget the Sony branded software. That's what I did on 2 separate Vaio laptops with no problems at all. In fact when I open Windows media Center, all the buttons at the top work fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Olleym (2011-06-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife's computer will be away from my accesess for a couple of weeks or so. When I can get hold of it I'll have a go at things. There is only one Vaio disk named 'Supplement Disc'. I'll investigate this on my pc

Cheers.