New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Access 2003, query table /w duplicates & print only earliest

Hello,

I have 2 tables. 1 with person information (Name, ID#, hire date) and the other with salary info (ID#, salary, date of raise). This second table has many records for each person (each date they got a raise)

I am trying to build a query that will print the name, ID, hire date, date of FIRST raise and the time in months between the 2 dates.

I am having no luck using the "totals" first, last, min ect. Can anyone advise? Thanks very much.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by winner-88 View Post
    Hello,

I have 2 tables. 1 with person information (Name, ID#, hire date) and the other with salary info (ID#, salary, date of raise). This second table has many records for each person (each date they got a raise)

I am trying to build a query that will print the name, ID, hire date, date of FIRST raise and the time in months between the 2 dates.

I am having no luck using the "totals" first, last, min ect. Can anyone advise? Thanks very much.
    SELECT PersonName, ID, HireDate, MinOfDateOfRaise, MinOfDateOfRaise - HireDate AS DaysToRaise FROM tblPerson INNER JOIN (Select ID, Min(DateOfRaise) as MinOfDateOfRaise FROM tblRaises GROUP BY ID) AS SQ ON tblPerson.ID = sq.ID
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkLiquorman For This Useful Post:

winner-88 (2011-06-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply Mark, I appreciate it.

However, I have been fiddling with the query you gave me for a while trying to get it to work, but I cant seem to get it. I put all my table names into the code and when I run the query it asks me for the
    Employee ID, Compensation Date, and Hire Date if i type 1 for both then it displays all the employee names without duplicates but lists "hire date" and "compensation date" as whatever number i entered in the beginning

I have 2 tables for this query. Table 1 is named Employees and table 2 is named CompensationHistory

Here is my code, any idea the problem? Thanks

SELECT FirstName, EmployeeID, [Hire Date], [MinOfCompensation Date], [MinOfCompensation Date] - [Hire Date] AS DaysToRaise
    FROM Employees INNER JOIN (Select EmployeeID, Min([Compensation Date]) as [MinOfCompensation Date] FROM CompensationHistory GROUP BY EmployeeID) AS SQ ON Employees.employeeID = sq.EmployeeID

EDIT:

I added [] to the columns with names that contained spaces (sorry, new to SQL)
    This query saves without errors but when run
    Last edited by winner-88; 2011-06-10 at 16:32.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In the Employees table have you defined Hire Date or is it HireDate?
    Can you post a compacted/zipped database with the tables and query that are a problem here.