New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 Template "Restart at 1" changes styles

In Word 2007, I would like to create a template where I can have numbered lists in which the list items have different formatting depending on their role in the list, and I would like the formatting to be controlled by styles. Each separate list (containing items of the various styles) should start at 1. The problem I'm encountering is that on the second numbered list, when I right-click the first line and select "Restart at 1" the style of that line changes to the style’s “parent” style. I think I need to use a parent style so the numbering will be continuous within my list.
    To reproduce the problem in distilled form, I’ve created a new template file at

http://www.levysr.us/NumberingRestart.dotx

I have a style called Use Case based on the List Paragraph style (I created it by starting with Normal and applying a single-level numbered list and editing the Adjust List Indents properties), and another style, Use Case Emphasis, based on Use Case and with italics added. If I create the following two lists:

Use Case 1 (Normal style underlined)
    1. Use case 1 step 1 (Use Case style)
    2. Use case 1 step 2 (Use Case style)
    3. Use case 1 step 3 (Use Case style)
    4. Use case 1 step 4 (Use Case style)

Use Case 2 (Normal style underlined)
    5. Use Case 2 step 1 (Use Case Emphasis style)
    6. Use Case 2 step 2 (Use Case Emphasis style)

7. Use Case 2 step 3 (Use Case style)
    8. Use Case 2 step 4 (Use Case style)

Note that lines 5 and 6 are in Use Case Emphasis style; this is correct. Now I want the second list to be numbered from 1 to 4 so I right-click line 5 and select “Restart at 1.” The list becomes numbered from 1 to 4 as I wanted, but now line 1 (formerly line 5) is in Use Case style and not in Use Case Emphasis style. What’s more, if I manually apply Use Case Emphasis back to the line, the numbering reverts back to 5 to 8!

From these forums I have read that the numbering is separate from the style, so I can't imagine how changing the numbering should change the style.

As you will see in the example, this behavior exist also if I create my Use Case style based on a multilevel numbered list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how this happened, but your list is a multilevel list with level 1 linked to the Use Case style. When you restart or reset the number value, Word also reapplies the style the level is linked to. Your fix is to abandon your Use Case Emphasis paragraph style and instead apply an emphasis character style where wanted.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-06-13 at 18:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 Template "Restart at 1" changes styles

Pam, thank you so much for your reply. I'm not sure I'm going to follow your recommendation to the letter, but it freed my mind to think better about styles and formatting, and to try other options. I seem to be succeeding by doing this, which may be exactly the same as your recommendation:

1. Create my first style with single-level-list formatting (as previously), and apply to both lists.
    2. Restart numbering in the second list.
    3. Italicize the first 2 lines in the second list.
    4. Create a new linked character/paragraph style from the italicized text.

All the best, BuzzyG

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm glad things are working for you.

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am shamelessly piggybacking on this, because I have the same symptom for a single-level numbered list. NOT an outline list. If this is a violation of the rules, oh ListWatchers, let me know and I will try again with a fresh topic.

I have a style where the numbers say Step 1, Step 2, etc. The style is set up with the right indent so that the Step 1 is outdented and the rest of the paragraph nicely lines up with the text of the first line.

Everything is fine unless I restart the numbering. When I do that, the STYLE IS ALTERED so that the Step x part is indented, and the rest of the paragraph is not indented. If I reapply the style, the numbering goes continuous again.

Only happens in some documents.

Any ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you saying that you want step 1 to have a different indent from the other steps? And, by "outdented", do you mean the line starts to the left of the margin?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I want Step 1 to look like all the others. By "outdented" I mean that the setting for hanging indent seems to disappear so the wrapped line starts at the left margin.

All the other steps look the way I expect them to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    jweissmn1

Can you post a sample document so we can see what the problem is?

I have seen a thread here once that stated that single level lists are actually outline level lists with the other levels hidden. What you describe sounds like a list that begins at a level other than Level 1 but I think I need to look at the file to be sure of this.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Andrew. I finally fixed it (yesterday) by defining a multilevel list with my paragraph style attached to the first level of the list. There was some strange conflict between the paragraph indent settings in the paragraph style and the single-level buggy Word list style.

In some cases (ie some documents based on the template with all this stuff defined) I have to reattach the pragraph style to the multilevel list. Mostly not.

Word happens.