Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I install IE9?

I am not trying to pin anyone down (okay, maybe just a little) on this, but is there such a thing as an UNBIASED opinion on IE9 before I upgrade from IE8 into two desktops running on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, and a laptop with a 32-bit version of the same thing? I've declined the upgrade to IE9 when it was first offered because. . . .well, because there is never any lack of controversy about anything new from MS any more, and I've read a bit of information about it that makes me nervous at a time I have a stable and properly functioning IE8, so I am having a hard time convincing myself to take the plunge. If anyone out there can offer an unbiased general opinion on the subject, I'd welcome hearing from you hopefully to avoid "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire."

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've split this into its own thread. Please start your own threads. It gets very confusing to keep track of responses when a similar question is asked.

There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion.

From my experience, IE9 has been faster and more stable than IE8. I don't know about more secure. I'll take Microsoft's word on that as I never had an issue with IE8 and haven't had one with IE9 so far.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-06-11)

Thanks
    Opinions are like (insert expletive), everybody has one.

IE9 is better, but...
    A good start for you, would be to take the time and make an effort in learning how to perform imaged backups.
    This is what normal people who know and use computers do when they are undecided about performing an upgrade but want to check software that has a potentially complicated install/uninstall.
    [you take steps to ensure that you are able to get back to your previous working environment in the event something does go wrong]

This way instead of blaming everyone and their dog including MS, if things go wrong a restore is just a few min away.

Partial apologies for the sarcasm
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-06-10 at 19:50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-06-11)

Thanks
    I would definitely upgrade to IE9, but stick with the 32 Bit version for now. On the 64 Bit OS you will download the 64 Bit version which will actually install both the 64 Bit and 32 Bit IE9. Stick with the 32 Bit for now.

Also understand that a few sites do not do well with IE9. I have not personally found any of these, but a few have been reported.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-06-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Opinions are like (insert expletive), everybody has one.

IE9 is better, but...
    A good start for you, would be to take the time and make an effort in learning how to perform imaged backups.
    This is what normal people who know and use computers do when they are undecided about performing an upgrade but want to check software that has a potentially complicated install/uninstall.
    [you take steps to ensure that you are able to get back to your previous working environment in the event something does go wrong]

This way instead of blaming everyone and their dog including MS, if things go wrong a restore is just a few min away.

Partial apologies for the sarcasm
    Clint, you bring up another question then. By "restore if something goes wrong," I take it you mean System Restore? Also, last I heard, if it you uninstall an IE browser it automatically reinstalls the previous one, because I've had occasion to do just that I think with IE7. I am inclined to give IE9 a try, but is there any reason either one of these two processes would not take me back if needed?

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would definitely upgrade to IE9, but stick with the 32 Bit version for now. On the 64 Bit OS you will download the 64 Bit version which will actually install both the 64 Bit and 32 Bit IE9. Stick with the 32 Bit for now.

Also understand that a few sites do not do well with IE9. I have not personally found any of these, but a few have been reported.
    Ted, I am inclined to do just as you suggest and give it a try. I know what you mean re the 64-bit browser and problems with some websites, because I'm currently using the 32-bit option with IE8 for that very reason, but thanks for the suggestion.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You are correct that if you uninstall IE9 your prior version is automatically restored. I believe that what Clint meant was that a restore from a backup image not a system restore.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-06-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    IE 9 is the most standards compliant browser Microsoft has ever made. IMHO, you should have less problems with websites in IE 9 than in previous versions and there is backwards compatibility if needed. You lose nothing by migrating to IE 9 and most likely you will never want to go back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-06-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    IE 9 is the most standards compliant browser Microsoft has ever made. IMHO, you should have less problems with websites in IE 9 than in previous versions and there is backwards compatibility if needed. You lose nothing by migrating to IE 9 and most likely you will never want to go back.
    Okay, to ruirib and the others who offered advice over the last day or two, I thank you. I've just taken your advice and upgraded to IE9 in the primary desktop that I use. I will reserve an opinion on it until I've used it longer than an hour or so, but I've not noticed anything earth-shakingly different about it that I cannot live with. The favorites and other tools I use are now tabs at the top, but that is all and I can get used to that in time. Given past experience with new MS products lately, I have just made a conscious decision to follow up on IE9 for awhile before installing it, but was surprised to read very little against it this time and most of what I read on this forum or anywhere else positive in nature so. . . .now I've done it.

Again, my thanks to all who responded. I will use it for awhile in my own desktop (64-bit Win7 Home Premium SP1) for awhile, then if nothing convinces me otherwise will likely put it into my wife's desktop (a virtual clone of mine) and my laptop (likewise, but 32-bit).

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I never hesitate in updating programs that are part of the foundations, using them is another. I found a new browser in WSL that is based on Firefox, is just as secure but faster than FF & IE9.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner:

And the name of that browser is . . .

Dick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I never hesitate in updating programs that are part of the foundations, using them is another. I found a new browser in WSL that is based on Firefox, is just as secure but faster than FF & IE9.
    Roderunner,
    I've now been using IE9 for a day or so and my initial impression is favorable, except for a couple of things like my favorites and such that are not where they used to be, but that is of pretty minor concern. I have a good friend (and a network engineer by trade) who is a diehard Firefox fan, and he has tried for years to get me to switch, but I just see no point in doing so as long as IE is "the standard" that the WWW follows including everyone else (including Firefox). I do have Google Chrome installed, but almost never use it, and have had others as well (Sahara for one) but ended up removing them.

I talk too much. Thanks for the reply.

David E. Cann

18. The Following User Says Thank You to decann For This Useful Post:

rpbell (2011-07-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Roderunner:

Dick
    Interesting question. I'd like to know the answer myself.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Interesting question. I'd like to know the answer myself.
    Check this thread!

I have not downloaded or even checked this browser. I guess I'm just too pleased with IE9 to consider another browser right now. I will not state I won't ever, but not for now.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-06-12 at 13:48.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-06-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Roderunner:

Dick
    Sorry for omission, Pale Moon.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast