2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer closes on Print link

Hello again, Colleagues All,
    I run a couple of blogs and often want to save newspaper articles for reference. I Google the article headline which takes me to the appropriate page at the newspaper's web site. I save the link to paste into my blog and also the text of the message, because sometimes articles are removed or archived, after which they are often only accessible by paying a fee. Very often, there is no Save button, but there is a Print one. I save the file by clicking on this button and use CutePDFWriter (which pretends to be a printer) to save the resulting PDF file in the library on my computer. Most of the time, it works fine, but occasionally, when I click on Print, IE (8 or 9) comes up with a message stating that it has detected an error and has to close. It then reopens on the same page, as though I had never tried to print. I noted that an earlier thread had pointed out the necessity for a Java processor, but my problem is only random, and anyway, I seem to remember downloading the latest and greatest Java a few months ago.
    Any advice from you amazing gurus out there would be gratefully received.
    As an aside, I would like to compliment you all at Windows Secrets on the new format. Very nice to look at and smooth to use, too. (These virtues do not necessarily always go together!).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Once IE recovers can you print the page?

Do you have the most current version of CutePdfWriter?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The answers to your questions, Joe, are No and Yes. IE simply goes around and around until you kill the tab page. A mismatching of IE and CutePDFWriter was the first thing I thought of.
    Having said all that, I have done a little more research and think it might be a problem with the web page itself. I have noticed that the problem always seems to occur with sites (TechRepublic, SmartPlanet, ZDNet, etc.) which are all using the same web page manager. A feature of the pages is that there is a little box with icons for all the social media, such as Facebook. If you want to use the more traditional methods, there is a link called 'more'. Clicking on this opens a drop-down list where Print is one of the options. It is when I click on this that the error occurs. After IE 'checks for a solution', it asks me whether i want to debug. If I say Yes, the following message is displayed:-

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in iexplore.exe [8412].

I have got Visual Studio 2010, but no way was I going to get involved in correcting someone else's stuff. It is bad enough getting my databases to work! However, the error message might mean something to you or other readers.

Many thanks for your reply.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is entirely possible that the web pages are the problem for IE.

Do you have another browser installed that you can try?

You could try contacting the site support or check any FAQs at the site to see if this is a know problem.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back in business - sort of

The problem remains with IE, but I have downloaded Firefox 4.0.1 and the process works fine. This would suggest that the unhandled exception is in IE code, rather than the web site being visited.
    As an aside, Firefox allows the option of inheriting the IE setup (which presumably includes favourites (called bookmarks in Firefox) but the transfer has not taken place. I would like to create the same subdirectories for organisational purposes, but Firefox does not seem to support that structure.
    Any ideas.
    Feel free to copy this last post to another area if it is considered worthwhile.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you give an example of one or two websites that don't work?

Most IE problems of the kind you described are the result of a problem with an addin. Have you tried running IE with addins disabled?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem with the Firefox migration. The answer is to press Alt before clicking on the Firefox button. This activates the "classic" firefox menu which includes a general import facility (including importing bookmarks). In answer to your question, Joe, there are a number of related web sites which all seem to use the same web page manager. They are ZDNet, TechRepublic and SmartPlanet, no doubt plus others which I have not visited. I went to the home page and the only reference I can find which may be useful says "powered by Brocade". Does this mean anything to you and should we be telling the authors about the problem. Actually, the site is very good, because all of the entries in the newsletters and forum pages are headlined and one can go straight to articles of interest without messing about with unwanted stuff.

Jim.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update to my previous post. I went back to IE and disabled all add-ons. Most of them, such as OneNote and Ask I could do without anyway. I then contacted the TechRepublic site and tried to download a file of interest, using CutePDFWriter, and the same problem occurred. When I click on an article in a TR newsletter, Outlook automatically opens IE, so I suppose i will have to scout around Outlook to nominate Firefox (which I like better, because it is not so full of itself!).

Anyway, thanks for your assistance, Joe. Your questions did direct me to the right places to examine.

Jim.