Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7, USB drives missing & Autoplay

Two queries here both relating to external drives connected to USB ports.
    I have 3 USB drives permanently connected, a 250Gb Western Digital, a 300Gb Freecom and a 1Tb Freecom. The drives are basically used for backups.

1. Occassionally when I boot up Autoplay will burst into live on one or more of these drives, given that they are permanently connected why? Does Windows lose it's memory?

2. More worrying, also occassionally, my latest drive the 1Tb Freecom bought because I was running out of backup space, will not appear in Windows Explorer. According to Device Manager it's there and working correctly. I tried unpluging the USB cable & reconnecting it and was rewarded with a a couple of "bongs" but still no drive in Windows explorer.

I'm running a fully patched Windows 7 32 bit PC.

Be grateful for any suggestions.

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Check if the drive shows in Drive Manager - it may need formatting. Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

You should always turn off autorun. This is a very good way to get a virus.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Booted up this morning and the missing drive has returned although I've changed nothing! The mystery remains.
    AutoRun is OFF. What I'm refering to is the AutoPlay dialog which normally only pops up when you plug in a new drive or CD and others you a choice of actions. e.g. Open with explorer or play music etc. Just cann't see why this occassional pops up at random.

Peter