5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving iTunes to Win7

I have a new Win7 laptop. I want to transfer iTunes from my WinXP. The tech at the Apple store said "Just copy the iTunes folder to your new PC." However, at least one web advice column said to install iTunes on Win7 first, which makes sense to me. Did the tech assume iTunes was already installed?

Would I be better off using Win7 Easy Transfer, since I have lot's of other stuff to transfer? My Win7 and XP are successfully networked, so Easy Transfer seems like the simplest way to do this, even though it may be slow. I realize that I will have to install all my software on the Win7 PC.
    Thanks, HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should be able to backup your library to an external drive using iTunes on the XP PC. Then after you install iTunes on the new PC use the iTunes restore.

Easy Transfer can be very useful. Just be sure to double check that all your data and settings get transferred. See Windows Easy Transfer for more information and links.

Joe
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2011-06-11 at 15:31.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You should be able to backup your library to an external drive using iTunes on the XP PC. Then after you install iTunes on the new PC use the iTunes restore.

Easy Transfer can be very useful. Just be sure to double check that all your data and settings get transferred. See Windows Easy Transfer for more information and links.

Joe
    Should I use Easy Transfer first, then install my programs, or vice versa?
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should run Easy Transfer then install your programs. See the tutorial link on the Easy Transfer page to which I linked.

Joe