New Lounger
    Thanks

?Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

When running program, I noticed there were IE 5 temporary files. Why would I ever need these files and is it safe to delete them?

I ran CCleaner earlier before running Malwarebytes.

How would I be able to remove them? Need explicit details.

Thanks
    If you use CCleaner, under Internet Explorer, select to delete all the entries. This should get rid of these IE5 entries. By the way, are you still using IE5? This is a very old, insecure browser. You might wish to explore an update to IE8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted for the fast reponse. I am using IE8. I should have shown this.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbb173 View Post
    When running program, I noticed there were IE 5 temporary files. Why would I ever need these files and is it safe to delete them?

How would I be able to remove them? Need explicit details.
    bbb,
    Hello... If you go to "Computer">Users>"your PC name">AppData>Local>Temp... Have a look .. If there in there ...yes it's safe to delete them. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Cool

That's just a folder name, used previous to Temporary Internet files. It does not mean that you're using I.E.5
    Temporary Internet Files? Get rid of them ASAP. They're garbage, but only a very small part of the garbage that windows stores on your HD.
    (and they are stored in more than just one place too.)

I don't like that crap taking up space on my hard drive for even one day.
    Those garbage files do nothing but slow down my AV scans, AS scans and defrags.
    So to get rid of Temp files, Temporary internet files and a few dozen other junk files, I wrote a Cleanup batch file to dump those temp folders every time I boot up my PC. I put that Cleanup batch file in my startup folder, for a little daily Maid Service.

No special program like CCleaner (which crashed my PC twice) is required to keep your computer clean and running efficiently.
    I share a generic version of my cleanup batch file with my customers and they all love it, keeping their PC's clean of junk. I even put a copy of that batch file on my web site, to be an example, to those interested in doing something similar.

My own custom XPCleanup.bat program is nearly forty lines long, with one line for each folder where junk is stored. Even some programs like AOL or AVG store temp files daily and if not removed, they will continue to build up till H*** freezes over.
    I even have one line to delete the temporary internet files (cache) stored by Firefox.
    Some programs like "AVG Tune-Up" or "Easy Cleaner II" will find and remove those files, Safely.

Cheers mates!
    the Doctor

PS: Malwarebytes is an excellent program and is used by many tech's (like me) to find and remove stuff just not found by other Anti-malware programs.
    There is a new Trojan making the rounds, that disables all .exe files. It's easy to fix the problem with a registry script and then the Trojan is found and removed by "Malwarebytes". I've had three such cases so far in the last month.
    If you buy it, and install the Pro version, it will run an active scanner and prevent many Trojans and other malware from ever getting a foothold on your PC.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-06-21 at 16:05.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!