Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open more than 15 files

Once again Microsoft is protecting us from ourselves, but not giving the option to not do so!

The situation:
    In Explorer, highlighting 15 files (of the same type) and hitting Enter will open all those files in the proper program.
    Highlighting 16 or more files and hitting Enter will open a Print dialogue box (for images, at least).
    Right-clicking shows that nothing is designated as default action.

After searching for a solution, I found one from Microsoft
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022295/

What that does: restores the Open option in the context menu. But it will only open the file you right-click, not all of the selected files. Hitting Enter still opens the print dialogue.

I also found a post about creating some sort of VBScript to add it to the SendTo menu. The point is, I want to be able to open more than 15 files simply by highlighting and hitting Enter. Not by fussing around with the context menu and the SendTo menu and all that crap. In the time it takes to mess with that, I'm sure I could just drag all the files to the program.

This may seem selfish, but I want the same functionality in a new program (Windows 7) that I had in an old program (XP).

So now I come here, hoping that someone has figured out how to "fix" this "feature", so that I can open more than 15 files simply by highlighting and hitting Enter.

Though I haven't tried it, someone posted that selecting more than 15 music files will open them all in Windows Media Player instead of the default media player. I hate Media Player and often select and play tons of songs in WinAmp. So yeah, please help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

The KB article implies that if the context menus entries appear that the function will work but does not specifically say that. Have you double checked the registry key name spelling? Have you double checked the value you set?

I saw a post that says sometimes "16" does not appear to mean unlimited. It said try putting some large number such as 500 in the key. Be sure to reboot after changing the value.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Success!

Yes, I had already double-checked the spelling and the path and all that. But it never occurred to me that "16" would not mean "unlimited", as the article says, and I didn't come across that post.

"500" works excellent. I doubt I will ever need to open more than that at once!

Thank you!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. It never would've occurred to me either had I not stumbled across a post.

Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    can anyone help me. i cant open more than 15 mp3 songs with winamp. i cant find that reg key.

EDIT, i just created that value. it works now.
    Last edited by ninasky; 2012-12-21 at 20:20.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    now i have same problem again. how do i solve this pemanently?

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the KB article linked in post #1. If you can't find the registry key, create it and set the value to what you wish.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See the KB article linked in post #1. If you can't find the registry key, create it and set the value to what you wish.
    Joe
    se post 5 and 6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I'm not trying to tweak anyone here but merely to point out that you need to read carefully when reading technical information.
    Here is a direct quote from the KB article in post #1:

Note: a value of 16 is interpreted as "unlimited" for showing the options from the context menu, however it does not allow the actual opening of the documents selected if selecting more than 16. To allow the opening of more than 16 documents, set this key to a decimal value greater than the amount of documents you wish to open. Microsoft recommends only increasing this value to a reasonable number in a controlled environment and only where users really need this value increased.
    FYI: This is definately the pot {me} calling the kettle black!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I'm not trying to tweak anyone here but merely to point out that you need to read carefully when reading technical information.
    Here is a direct quote from the KB article in post #1:

FYI: This is definately the pot {me} calling the kettle black!
    Hey RG, thanks for admitting you're an offender, too! I can definitely say I have "skipped" things like this in the past. However, after looking at the KB in question, there is nothing outside of that note that indicates 16=unlimited, so I definitely would have read that note, if it were there. The KB says it was last revised August 30, 2011. I posted my original help plea on June 12, 2011. I am certain that note was part of the revision added after I had read it.

To ninasky: I just highlighted 50 songs and hit Enter. All opened in WinAmp. I have never had another problem with this issue since editing my registry, as per the instructions above. You said you did the edits and it worked. Then it didn't work again. Please review the spelling, etc of the registry edits you have made and be sure to reboot. If it still does not work, please include more details of the problem for the brilliant folks who look at this forum. They can't help you if you just say "it doesn't work". Because it does work.
    Thanks and good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i know what the problem was. i had set 16. but now i have something like 88898889 hehe