Thread: No Sleep

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Sleep

I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 that is about 2 years old. It came with Vista and about 3 weeks ago I had Windows 7 put on it. Everything worked great except that it wouldn't go to sleep. I checked the power settings and everything looked right and turned on Screen Saver mode and it still wouldn't go to sleep. I had a big presentation coming up and I figured that I wanted it to stay awake for the presentation anyway, so I would worry about it after the presentation. When it was on battery power, it would power down after a period of time of inactivity, I didn't check the time, but it was between 5-10 minutes.

Well, guess what? During the presentation, while running a slideshow of random photos from Windows Live Photo Gallery, it kept going to sleep, the screen would just go black and I would have to run up to the front to jiggle the mouse and bring it back to life. Sometimes it would just go black and other times it would run the Windows screensaver, I changed the time for the screensaver from 5 minutes to 500 minutes but it would still go black. It was plugged into a Plasma TV and I had the same display on both the laptop and TV, both would go black.

Now I have the laptop sitting on my desk, not hooked up to any other monitors, and it just keeps on going. I even tried running the same slideshow and it works just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my settings should be on the power options I have it on Balanced now, which is the default setting. Looks like it should dim the display after 5 minutes and turn it off after 10 and put it to sleep after 30. It's not doing that, until I have it plugged into an external monitor. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Hi donebb,
    Disable the sleep function when 'Plugged In'
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Power management is one of the trickiest areas to debug.

Do you have up-to-date drivers?

Have you checked the power management settings in device manager?

Have you checked the advanced settings in the power management control panel applet?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I checked Windows Update and found that I had several updates waiting, so I installed those. When you say up to date drivers, are you talking about Dell drivers?

I opened Device Manager and didn't see anything relating to Power Management, where should I be checking for that?

I don't see Advanced Settings in the Power Management Control Panel, I have it on Balanced. After running the Windows Update, I changed the setting for Turn off the display - Plugged in to 2 minutes and it has been 17 since I did that and it is still bright and happy.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes, Dell drivers. When dealing with notebooks it is often better to get drivers from the OEM. Many times big OEMs such as Dell or HP by a modified version of part or modify it themselves and produce an updated driver for their specifications.

In Device Manage yo have to look at the properties of each device such as the NIC. Expand each category and check the devices.

When you click on "Change Plan Settings" there should be a link at the bottom "Change Advanced Power Settings".

Joe