Manning, South Carolina
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,324 Posts

Question Do you see yourself in this article?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Not recently RG.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger

I think he's missed the point.

It's interesting that he talks about keeping babies away from cat food, then accuses older people of being scared of the technology. Surely the point is that we are more aware of the dangers - we don't want to eat the cat food or publish 'lewd' photographs of ourselves. We want the technology to help us, not to tell us what to do.

To me, a computer is a tool. I love my 7inch android tablet because it tells me exactly where I am when I'm out walking, tracks where I have been and tells me how far I have walked - as long as the sun is not too bright. I can get my e-mails anywhere round the world - and I can set up a Bulgarian mobile data connection when the girl in the shop had no idea.

But I have no desire to go on facebook. I'm not scared of it, I just do not have the time. I have seen too many similar technologies come and go, and I have picked which ones I want to get involved with. My experience is that most older people feel the same - their lives are too full to keep up with all the latest fads, and they would rather be able to walk up the road (safely) and share a pot of coffee than try to find their way round a keyboard.

So the next time somebody tells you about a great new bit of 'technology', try asking what benefit you will get out of it - and if it will really save you time or money, look closer - but if it just wastes more of your time, put it on the pending pile and wait till it comes round again.

New Lounger
    Houston, TX USA
    I agree completely.

I'm 67 and I still look for a tech answer to most problems if they will save me time or money.

I got into computers in college when ours didn't even have one. We had to punch cards(!) and mail them off to be compiled. Since then, I've programmed every thing from 8080 chips in assembler to sharepoint.

I tried chat rooms but they take too much time for the effort.

Time passes too fast as it is.

Central Florida
    Just listen to the network news every morning and at least once a week you'll hear some horror story, of someone who was taken for a ride, by someone they met on the 'Internet'. I'd rather walk down the Interstate highway in rush hour traffic.
    Or even better yet, and a lot safer, drive to the nearest bar, have a cold one and chat with some people just like me.

I just turned 68 yesterday (June 22, 2011) and I'm still as active as I was 30 years ago. I still run my own Computer Business, work over a dozen help forums, maintain my own website, maintain my own car and go to the Gym three times a week.

I like the comment about working with punch cards. I not only worked with the cards, but I repaired the punches, sorters, etc.
    It was a good day, when NCR moved from punch cards to magnetic cassette tape to enter programs into their machines and record the data.

Does anyone remember the "Winchester" disk drives? They were HUGE, heavy and wrote to 8" floppy disks.
    The days before the 'Internet' and personal networking were much simpler and a heck of a lot safer. You never heard of someone loosing their identity in those simpler days.

Today, if you don't run a whole symphony of Security Software on your PC, you stand a very good chance of becoming infected with something. I give my customers a package of four programs, to keep them safe, but if they are too lazy to do the updates and scans as I've told them, they still get infected.

Yesterday was Wednesday, the day that "Spybot Search & Destroy" posts their weekly updates. I tell my customers "It's a great day to make sure that all your security software is up to date".

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-06-23 at 11:23.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

California & Arizona
    I must be getting old here too, but I can't see too terribly much validity in the article.
    I can't see any earthly reason why anyone would want to use "texting" via a cellphone as a means of communicating.
    It's a complete and utter waste of time and effort. Another useless fad imo.

When I come across some new peice of tech, I alway ask myself; What can I get out of this that I'm currently not getting.
    Smart phones: Nothing
    Social Networking Sites: Nothing

The short-cutting of the english language for the sake of instant messaging or texting, that seems to be prevalent amongst the younger generation is disturbing.
    I'm still of the opinion that tablets are still not yet powerfull enough to bother getting. By the time I turn 60 they may be worth getting into by then.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-06-23 at 13:05.

Star Lounger
    Cornwall, UK
    Just call me 'Ludd'.

New Lounger

Of what possible use ...

Remember, back in the MSDOS days circa '91 and prior, when MAC and the burgeoning Win2 were each poo-pooed as the "WIMP" interface - "Windows, Icons, Mouse (Meese?), and Popups" by command-line proponents?

I remember even asking clients at the time "Why do you think cavemen abandoned icons and developed language? Could it be that Icons were not up to the task of transmitting information efficiently?"

Now we have "tweet speak."

No, I'll "see" your link and "raise you" this one (please skip the rotating ad and get to the meat, the link is to a YouTube presentation but it was passed to me by Windows Secrets).

Luddites have to ask - what happens when the power goes out, or when the powers-that-be pull the plug? No political commentary intended, just a proposed contemplation piggybacking on yours:

Of what possible use is a house that makes my decisions for me, except of course to those who would love to be in charge of "the chip" on the bottom of the plate?

Thank you for the thought-provoking post.

Last edited by euhodos; 2011-06-23 at 20:37. Reason: Forgot to thank the OP.