3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Involuntarily Changing External Hard Drive Letters

I use a laptop exclusively. Connected to it are 3 EHDs. One stores my photos, scrapbook elements and ACDSee. One stores my music and videos. The third backs up everything.

I have always just disconnected the 3 EHDs and taken my laptop when I need to work on it away from home.

This week I did just that. When I came back and reconnected everything exactly as it had been, the EHD storing my photos, etc. had been changed from the letter D to the letter H. This is very inconvenient because I had to change every shortcut that pointed to the drive.

How can I prevent this happening? I need to disconnect it again on Thursday and dread going through that process again.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks
    I'm guessing that you have plugged in a memory stick or another EHD and Windows has re-ordered the drives accordingly.

The best thing to do would be to assign drive letters to the external drives at the higher end of the alphabet using the disc management console. Unfortunately you would need to change your shortcuts again but it should be the last time you need to do so.

You can see how to do this here Change. add, or remove a drive letter

By default Windows will start ordering it's drives C, D, E etc so if you give the EHDs letters above what you expect the last letter to be automatically assigned you should be fine.

Thanks
    Actually, I've found that assigning drive letters far down the alphabet is the best way to insure that a drive keeps its assigned letter. My eSATA backup drive, for example, is Z:. My card reader slots are K:, L:, O:, and Q:.

When I stick a thumb drive in a USB slot, Windows gives it the first available drive letter in the alphabet. As you have discovered, a USB drive (or stick) will not retain its Windows assigned drive letter if it is not plugged into its USB port; if it's unplugged, its drive letter is "available" to Windows. By using letters that are near the end of the alphabet, it is unlikely that those letters will be reassigned even if the USB drive is not plugged in.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. While my laptop was being used in another location, I DID plug in a USB flash drive. I believe I'll just "bite the bullet" and assign that particular EHD to another letter. I appreciate your help.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>