Thread: Power problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

Power problem

In the last month or so, my computer (Dell XPS M1330, Win7 SP1) has developed an odd power problem: after 20 minutes or so unattended, it shuts down completely (not hibernate: that is turned off). I have reset all the Power options to Never on Display, HD, and Sleep, on both battery and plugged in, to no effect. I have tried removing all peripherals and using a different adapter and outlet, again to no effect. Everything else is working properly. Anyone have any idea what to try next?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi jpallen,

Attachment 28325
    It could be time for you to de gunk the inside of your PC.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    PC's accumulate lots of dust in the innards, specifically accumulating around components and in cooling fans. Open the case and carefully clean out the stuff you find. All this dust and dirt can cause serious heating problems and that is what your problems sounds like. I would also get an app such as HWMonitor to verify temps and fan speeds. The spcs for your PC should provide some info on what to expect.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi jpallen,

How does your PC behave if you actively use it for 20 minutes to an hour or more? Does is only shut down when left unattended for 20 minutes?

If it still shuts down after cleaning it as recommended, then something else is going on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Power Problem

Thanks, guys. It's a laptop, not a PC. I did open the bottom, saw no dust, but vacuumed out anyhow. Still have the problem. Only happens when machine is on and idle for 20 minutes or so. No problems while using it -- although, I have had Netflix movies stall out after 30 minutes or so (also a recent thing), possibly because of overheating. I have the laptop on a cooling pad. Can't see that overheating could be a problem if the machine is idle.
    Will keep trying, and appreciate any further ideas.

Thanks
    Have you tried checking Task Scheduler to see if there is a scheduled shutdown (recently created) initiated after twenty minutes of idle? See this How To Geek tutorial for how this can be accomplished.

What level of charge does you battery have after the laptop shuts down?

Have you tried taking out the battery and running on AC while the battery is out of the laptop to see if the shutdowns continue?

Have you checked with Dell support to find out if others are having the same issue?
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-15 at 14:04. Reason: add link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. What's interesting about this is that I've found that the computer shuts down (see original post) only if I leave one or more apps running. If I close all apps and leave the machine idle but on, it does not shut down on me. Bizarre.

Thanks
    It could very well be a PS going bad. The more apps running, the more power is used, the hotter the PS gets. Possible.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    From the specs on your computer,that I've read.That you only have 2 gig's of memory.I can only suggest that you upgrade to 4 gig's of memory.The specs read that you are running Windows 64bit.
    Here's a FREE program that will let you know what you do have;http://www.hwinfo.com/ In 64bit or 32bit.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten