2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Master.xlsm get reference from both .xls and xlsx

Master work book get reference from both .xls and xlsx

Hi All,

Is it possible that my master workbook get reference from test.xls and test.xlsx. if find test.xls then get the reference to master workbook else get the references from test.xlsx.

Thanks and Regards.
    farrukh

Thanks
    I do not understand what you are asking. Could you elaborate?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear steve,

scenario is like that i have one master file.xlsm which get the cell reference from test1.xls.Which is coming from the field,when i paste this test1.xls in specific folder the master file.xlsm start geting cells reference from test1.xls. Some time same test1.xls excel file comes in .xlsx.

It is possible that when paste (.xlsx or .xls file ) in the specific folder the master file.xlsm start capturing the cells reference if find any of test1.xls or test1.xlsx file.

Sorry i tried to make you understand...

Thanks
    farrukh
    Last edited by farrukh; 2011-06-16 at 14:36.

Thanks
    Sorry, I still don't understand the question or the setup...

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sir steve Sorry

i have one excel workbook named master.xlsm which capture the cells reference from test.xls (workbook). some time person save test.xls save as to test.xlsx (excel 2007). When i paste test.xlsx to specific folder where master.xlsm capture the cell reference.The master.xlsm did not pick the references due to file extension xlsx.

Is there any way that whether test.xls or test.xlsx paste to specific folder the master.xlsm staring referring the cells.

Thanks
    farrukh
    Last edited by farrukh; 2011-06-17 at 14:40.

Thanks
    Still not sure I understand the problem. If you have master with links to test.xls, if the file name is changed while master is opened, the links should automatically be updated. If the filename is changed when master is not open, then the links will have to changed to reflect the new name. This can be done with "editlinks" in ribbon and changing the source filename to match the new name.

If I understand the issue has nothing to do with the extension, it is that the filename is changed and it must be updated. It would be a similar problem is test.xls were saved to the name test1.xls. If it is changed and master is not opened, the file has no way of knowing that someone changed the name, so this must be manually corrected.

Steve

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

farrukh (2011-06-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sir Steve,

Yes you are right i got the point sir "editlinks" is the best solution for deal it...

Thank you so much and sorry my written English was not good to make you understand.

Regards,
    farrukh